Thread: REQUIREMENT of INFORMATION ON SUNDERLAND

Thanks

Default REQUIREMENT of INFORMATION ON SUNDERLAND

Hi Mr.Ross,
    I have purchased Volume I of Coastal Command losses of the Second World War, Which I found very interesting, However, having gone looking for Volumes II and III , I realise that there is some problem with publishing these volumes.

I have almost completed a Book called "Guinea Fowl School" about the RAF base at Guinea Fowl in Southern Rhodesia Established to train Airmen during the war in the BCATP (British and Commonwealth Air Training Plan) with the Rhodesian Air Training Group (RATG).

The Base Closed in 1945 and a boarding School was opened where the Boarding houses were called after British aircraft, namely, Blenheim, Wellington, Sunderland, Stirling, Lancaster ,York and Lincoln. A friend of mine asked me to "put some meat on the bone"
    regarding these aircraft, which I have done. I added some people to the book to lend some personnel interest, namely,
    Ian Smith of UDI fame and Tony Benn, the deceased MP for Bristol, who were both trained as pilots at Guinea Fowl, together with Barnes Wallis, Bomber Harris, Roy Chadwick, Frank Whittle and Eric Brown RN Test pilot.

My Requests are as follows

Can you please advise me of the number of Sunderlands Lost from 1/1/1942 to the end of the war?

Can you please advise me of the number of Airmen lost from these Sunderlands from 1/1/1942 to the end of the war?

Presumably, this information would be contained in volume II and volume III of Coastal Command Losses of the Second World War.This Information Will Complete the two Pieces of the Jigsaw I require.

Many thanks,

Yours Sincerely
    MURRAY DOLAN

Thanks

Murray,
    Just a small point, but BCATP is the abbreviation for British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (definitely no "and" between British, Commonwealth). This is the very first time I have ever come across this interpretation. Britain was of course the leading member of the Commonwealth and seat of the Crown, but nevertheless an integral part of it, and thus cannot ever be considered as SEPARATE from it. At least that is my understanding of the meaning of the British Commonwealth -a sort of "All for one and one for all".
    David D

Thanks

Have you tried searching on the Internet? The blurb suggests Hamlin's Ocean Sentinel contains the information you seek ( https://www.air-britain.co.uk/actboo...l------22.html).

Thanks

Hello,
    Aviation-Safety.net lists 66 from Jan 42 to end of 45.
    Alex

Thanks

Thank you for the information,

Thanks

Thank you for the information.

Thanks

David, you are absolutely correct. There is NO and between British Commonwealth. Thank you for bringing it to my attention

Murray

Thanks

Hi Mr Ross,
    Reflecting back on my request for information on the Sunderland with a follow-on thread of did you get it? suggests I was pushing you for a reply!
    My sincere apologies, I have just started using the forum and am not quite sure how to use it (properly). I would like your input at your convenience and I apologise for me appearing to badger you on the subject.
    yours respectfully
    Murray Dolan

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to determine what DATE Eric Brown broke the sound barrier in an F86-E Sabre jet when he was on secondment at the USA NAVAL TEST PILOTS SCHOOL at Patuxent River, Maryland sometime after July 1951?
    Thank you ,
    MURRAY DOLAN
    Last edited by Murray22; 16th February 2017 at 17:23.