Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warrant Officer J Tozer DFC 55 Squadron

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer J Tozer DFC 55 Squadron

Does anybody have any information on the above individual. I have found a photo which I believe includes him. The individual in the photo is wearing an Air Gunners brevet and the following medals: DFC, 1939-45 Star, Aircrew Europe Stare with an unidentified bar, War medal and Territorial Decoration and is serving the the Royal Signals (TA) as a Captain. On the back of the photo it says Captain Tozer.

I have found the above in the London Gazette and he appears to be the only possible match, his DFC gazetted in 1943.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

From the award of his DFC we get his service number as a W/O (581419). Using that number to search the LG shows he was gazetted P/O on probation w.e.f. 25/10/42 with the officer number 51117. Searching with that number brings up most of his service from 1943 until he finally relinquished his commission in January 1965. In summary : promoted F/O (on prob) w.e.f 25/4/43, Promoted to acting F/Lt at unknown dated but promoted Acting F/Lt to acting S/Ldr w.e.f. 25/10/44, granted post war substantive rank of F/Lt w.e.f 25/4/46. Granted short service commission (6 yrs active + 4 yrs on reserve list) with rank of F/Lt w.e.f. 25/10/48 and transferred to Secretarial Branch. To reserve list 17/9/53 but service extended by 5 years from 19/1/58 then extended by further two years from 19/1/63. Commission relinquished 19/1/65.

Hope this is of some assistance. J

Thanks

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer J Tozer DFC 55 Squadron was my Mother's first cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by 78SqnHistory View Post
    Does anybody have any information on the above individual. I have found a photo which I believe includes him. The individual in the photo is wearing an Air Gunners brevet and the following medals: DFC, 1939-45 Star, Aircrew Europe Stare with an unidentified bar, War medal and Territorial Decoration and is serving the the Royal Signals (TA) as a Captain. On the back of the photo it says Captain Tozer.

I have found the above in the London Gazette and he appears to be the only possible match, his DFC gazetted in 1943.

Many thanks

Daz

Jack Tozer was my mother's first cousin. I would love to see the photo you have to see if it really is him because as far as I know he was never in the Royal Signals. There was another Jack Tozer, mentioned in the Gazette who was in the Army. My mother's cousin Jack was awarded the DFC.
    Many thanks
    Ilkley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilkley1944 View Post
    Jack Tozer was my mother's first cousin. I would love to see the photo you have to see if it really is him because as far as I know he was never in the Royal Signals. There was another Jack Tozer, mentioned in the Gazette who was in the Army. My mother's cousin Jack was awarded the DFC.
    Many thanks
    Ilkley
    Ilkley

Pm me your email address and I will send a scan of the photo. Do you know where he lived as the photo is from a TA unit based in the Midlands.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

78Sqn, et al

There’s a Jack TOZER
    b. 5 Feb 1919 (Reg Exeter 5b 87)
    d. Feb 2004 (Reg Rugby 770/1 87D 240)

Might be yr man?

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

that would certainly tie in with the TA Signal Regiment, it had a Squadron on Rugby.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

My email address is DELETED

He lived in Bradford prior to joining the RAF, then was at Cardington for a while, spent time in Egypt during the war. He was in No 55 Squadron. His date of birth was 14 July 1915.
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 4th May 2017 at 09:41. Reason: email redundant

Thanks

I have checked several issues of the Army List from the late 1950's through into the mid 1970's and can only see one Army officer who was "J Tozer" and that was a JR Tozer, a Lieut-Colonel in the Royal Artillery who was born in 1929 and retired in 1971. He had no awards such as DFC or TD. I think he was John Robert Tozer who died 11 Dec 2008 - Sherborne . The picture might give more clues.
    Last edited by PeteS; 2nd May 2017 at 13:28.

Thanks

There is a Jack Tozer as follows (not mine) The London Gazette published 5 December 1944: Supplement 36829 page 5624. REME Undermentioned cadets to be Lts (with pay under Art. 284 (b) 21 October 1944. Jack Tozer 334042
    Last edited by ilkley1944; 3rd May 2017 at 14:46. Reason: Forgotten to add his service number