Thread: Help looking for information on Squadron Leader Peter James Emerton - 26 Squadron

Thanks

Default Help looking for information on Squadron Leader Peter James Emerton - 26 Squadron

Hello All, and a happy new year.

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with some questions that have arisen following some research into the above airman?

I have checked Ancestory.com / Forces war records and WWW.

Does anyone know if he flew in the battle of Britain

If he did fly in the Battle of Britain what if any records would there be of his involvement? where would they be located ? And could I get access to them?

I believe that his squadron was stationed in kent at the relevant time.

I am having real difficulty finding much about his service and his service record other than:

his father Henry Wilfred Emerton , I think was a civil servant working for the admiralty but he seems not to be on any census pre 1911.

He was granted an appointment to a short-service commission in the RAF on 20th April 1936 to the rank of Acting P/O on probation. He was confirmed in the rank of P/O on 17th February 1937 and posted to 26 Squadron at Catterick on 1st May 1937. The date of when he rose to F/O is not yet known but he rose to F/Lt on 3rd September 1940 and to S/Ldr (temp) on 1st September 1941.

First Name: Peter James
    Initials: P J
    Surname: Emerton
    DOB: Circa 1917

Service Number: 37762

In addition, tragically he died :
    . On 14 November 1943, Peter was the Pilot of Halifaz DG-230 which took off from its base at Marston Moor for an air-test. Soon after take off the aircraft's two starboard engines failed and the aircraft crashed into a pond at Kirk Hammerton, killing four of the five man crew. Peter was one of the dead. He was 26 years old, and is buried at Aldershot Military Cemetery - near to where I live.

I am trying to identify which newspapers may have reported on it up near Marston Moor - hopefully a local library may have an archive I can access

He was shown as living in Folkstone with his father and wife, but I have since learnt that she was and continued to live in Farnborough Hampshire after his death, so that would make sense regarding the Aldershot Military Cemetery - but not how they came to live there.

If anyone has any thoughts or info about him or his unit what action / service they saw or where I can / might access it, I would be very grateful and most appreciative.

Kind Regards
    Dean

Thanks

Hi,

Some of this you may already know :

Peter James Emerton - Birth registered Pershore Q3 1917

Son of Henry Wilfred Emerton (DoB 6Mar1891) and Ethel May Emerton (nee Field DoB 15Jul1892)

In 1939 parents were living at 9 Naval Terrace Sheerness. Father's occupation Civil Servant.
    Parents marriage registered Q1 1916 in Worcester

Peter Emerton married Gwynneth Nina Harris (DoB 9Aug1921) in Calcutta India in 1943. This is the only clue I have found as to his RAF service. Gwynneth's birth is registered in Sturminster Dorset Q3 1921 and her mother's maiden name was Stent. In the 1944 probate calendar she is quoted as living in Llandudno.

Gwynneth's name seems to be on the electoral register for 2002 in Aldershot although she died that same year with the death registered in Chichester. From a picture on the www I believe she was buried in Aldershot beside her late husband.

Hope this may be of some assistance. J

Thanks

Hi Norfolkjohn,

many thanks , really appreciate this , some new things for me to consider.

really grateful
    thank you

Dean

Thanks

Dean

you could alway apply for a copy of his service records from the MoD, it will cost you 30.00 but should be quite straightforward given that he died in service.
    He does not appear in the list of Battle of Britain pilots http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/Menus/men.htm.

Interesting to see that he wasn't the main pilot onboard at the time of the crash, the aircraft captain was FO T McKinley DFC and PO N Beale as Flight Engineer plus 2 AC1s, one of which survived with minor injuries.

Given that he was at a Heavy Conversion Unit its most likely that he was a bomber pilot, McKinley was ex-102 Sqn.

Regards
    Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 11th January 2017 at 22:16. Reason: further info

Thanks

Thanks Daz,

Will do, most helpful.
    Kind Regards

Dean

Thanks

Have today sent off for service records

Fingers crossed

thanks again

Dean