Thread: Spitfire N3036 of 66 Sqn RAF on 11 January 1940

Thanks

Default Spitfire N3036 of 66 Sqn RAF on 11 January 1940

Hello,

I have several sources describing how three Spitfires of 66 Sqn intercepted a KG 26 bomber off England on 11 January 1940. The Spitfire Ia N3036 was hit by return fire and turned back towards land, force-landing on a beach and being written off, while the pilot, Sgt D Stone, was unhurt.

But so far I have no idea where this Spitfire force-landed. I will be interested by a location or a general area.

Best regards

Thanks

Bonjour Laurent,

I have this aircraft crash-landing at 9.15 a.m. on return from this flight, therefore it appears to have been at Duxford airfield. The pilot was Sgt. Laurence George Beauchamp Stone.
    Details mainly from the 66 Squadron ORB.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hello Martin

I will be interested in the page of the ORB for this day and the few next. Can you please sent them to me (at october1944(at)gmail.com).

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hi Martin,

How did you conclude that Sgt. D. Stone was in fact L.G.B. Stone? Does the 66 ORB give Stone's initials or full name?

Cheers,
    Tom

Thanks

Tom,

I had trouble at first finding a 'D. Stone' to match, so I had to look further. In the 66 Squadron ORB (F.540) on 31-3-1940 Sgts. Stone, Jones and Chalder are noted as receiving commissions. There was no other pilot named Stone in the unit before this, and no 'Sgt. Stone' after March 1940. On 14-4-1940 the ORB records these three now Pilot Officers being posted to other squadrons, with 'P/O L.G.B. Stone' going to 213 Squadron. The ORB for 213 Squadron on 14-4-1940 confirms 'P/O L.G.B. Stone' arriving from 66 Squadron.
    The CWGC and London Gazette websites gave me his Christian names.

Laurent,

Sorry, I did not see your post until tonight. I cannot scan or copy pages from the ORB very well. I will send you a PM shortly.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Good work, Martin. The London Gazette gives his commissioning date as April 1, 1940. His NCO service no. was 516961 and his officer number (regular air force) 43695. He transferred to 213 Sqn. and claimed a Bf 109 19 May 40 before he was shot down and killed on 28 May.

Best wishes,
    Tom