Thread: Need help to establish when this RFC Airman joined up

Thanks

Default Need help to establish when this RFC Airman joined up

Hello All,

I am trying to establish in which quarter this Air Mechanic joined the RFC.

His service number is 3198

On a previous post on the forum
    1 to 515 1912 RFC: transfers and civilians
    516 to 1013 1913 RFC - transfers and civilians
    1014 to 2690 1914 RFC - transfers and civilians
    2691 to 17400 1915 RFC - transfers and civilians

Albert was at the recruits depot Farnborough Hants and died on the 10th of February 1915 - So does this mean that he joined in either Jan or Feb and almost immediately died?

Apart from the CWGC i have nothing else, nothing I could find in the local papers Aldershot / Farnborough about his death or funeral.

Thanks again

Best regards
    Dean

Thanks

Dean

I have looked at all WWI resources that I can access and his enlistment date does not seem to be recorded (even on his service record)

A couple of thoughts:

Have you tried posting on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...ex.php?act=idx

Have you tried looking for records for service numbers either side of 3198, as this may provide you with a guide to when he enlisted. [UPDATE: A very quick look shows that service numbers around 3198 were for enlistments 20/01/1915 and 22/01/1915 ... but it was a quick look so you will need to do a bit more research to confirm]

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 13th January 2017 at 13:35.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Dean

Not of help as such, but some info from The Manchester Evening News, Tuesday February 16th 1915:

ROLL OF HONOUR
    WOOD - On February 10, at the Military Hospital, Aldershot, after a brief illness, No. 3198, Private ALBERT EDWIN WOOD (Bert), 22 years of age, of Royal Flying Corps, South Farnborough. Was interred at Aldershot on Saturday last.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon, thank you. It all helps and as I am trying to find where he is Remembered, this is great, as he was from Birkenhead, only moving to Manchester a couple years before joining up.
    many thanks
    Dean 👍👍

Thanks

Hi all,

Many thanks for your assistance,

I have made some progress, his service record literally has nothing other than next of kin details on it.

It would appear that he is not remembered on any local memorials Manchester / Birkenhead. So i am doing some research to confirm this 100% and then need toi work out how to rectify this.

I will this week be checking the local papers for details of death, coroners inquest and funeral and failing that will send off for his death certificate.

Hopefully I will be able to find out something more.

Thanks again to everyone, your advice and information has been very helpful

Many thanks again

Best regards
    Dean

Thanks

Many thanks Pete, very much appreciated, looks like he took ill almost immediately after arriving at Farnborough

Best regards and thanks

Dean

Thanks

Thanks Pete,

That's great, very much appreciated

Dean

Thanks

I think I may have found him listed on the Memorial Panel at St. James Church, Moss Side.

Several Wood's but only one A Wood, no other references, rank unit etc - It was erected to the men from Moss Side who fell, I am thinking, that as he was mentioned in the Manchester newspaper and his father was still alive that he was scooped up between them.

I am still making other enquiries - but not sure how much further I will get with his remembrance.