Thread: Looking for info on Lancaster ME798's crash site and the NF who claimed it

Thanks

Default Looking for info on Lancaster ME798's crash site and the NF who claimed it

Morning all. First time posting here so I apologise if anything is wrong.

My grandad (still alive) was a rear gunner in 50 squadron in mid 1944, he did 32 ops. His best friend was also in the squadron, George Taylor.

my grandad was part of Pethicks crew (a Canadian) and flew B baker. George Taylor his best friend was prt of the crew of ME798 which was lost on the night of 24/25 June 1944. My grandad was also on this raid.

I have the details of the lfight etc, and also of the graves of the crew, they're buried in Amiens. However it's the period prior to that where I struggle. Can anyone help out with the crash site? I have roughly where it but that's all. Does anyone have more concrete accounts of where it is exactly? Also, I have a couple of Luftwaffe NF's who made claims in the area at roughly the right time, but no name specifically.

My my grandad I feel would just like some closure now on the fate of his best friend.

What I have -

ME798 took off from skellingthorpe at 22:26

the crash was somewhere near St Pol.

the crew are buried in Amiens. All were KIA.

Again chaps, any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and welcome,
    The following info which you may already have is taken from Bill Chorley's "RAF Bomber Command Losses of the 2nd WW" volume 5 - 1944.
    Page 301.
    50 Sqn Lancaster I - ME798 - VN-Z - Op: Prouville.
    T/o 2236 Skellingthorpe, similarly tasked.
    Exploded in the air following an attack from a night fighter, wreckage being scattered near Hardinval (Somme), 3 km W of Doullens.
    All rest in St.-Pierre Cemetery at Amiens.
    Re "similarly tasked"
    Thisreferes to details of the raid explained in reference to another loss that night.
    Prouville, where a Fying-Bomb site was the target for the raid.
    Others may well be able to add more to this.
    Good luck and best wishes to your Grandfather.
    Alex

Thanks

Hello again,

Just to add this from the Tony Woods Files.

There are at least 38 claims for this night.

25-06-1944
    Two claims listed that actually name Doullens .

The first claim is for a four motor a/c.
    7/NJG4
    time - 00.38 hrs.
    Only. Richard Delakowitz.

The second claim was for a Lancaster.
    9/NJG4 at 00.44 hrs.
    Hptm. Kurt Fladrich.

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 14th January 2017 at 14:55.

Thanks

Many thanks for getting back to me, it's really appreciated.

Another name that pops up is Helmut Lent, who was without a doubt one of if not the best NF pilot for the Luftwaffe. He claimed two four engines planes around QE-PE, one at 00:25 and another at 00:41 (roughly). Another one says the St Pol area.

Im also looking for any info regarding any wreckage of the Lancaster and any reports from eyewitnesses who saw it come down, all be it in pieces by the sounds of it. I fear if I went over to France looking for it, my search would be spread over a very wide area, though the bodies are buried together and were easy enough to find and identify (I think), so I may assume they came down together in the same area.

Again, I'm starting to clutch at straws with it.

Thanks

Hi,
    There was an Aussie on this aircraft K S M Mitchelll 422544 using his service number you can to the National Archives of Australia and view his crash report which states the aircraft crashed at Hardinual. Theo Boiten Nachtjagd War Diaries has either Helmut Lent or Hptm Heinz-Horst Hissbach as having shot down either 50 Sqn ME798 or 463 Sqn LM574.

Good hunting,

John.