Thread: Inland Area Aircraft School

Eddie Fell Guest

Default Inland Area Aircraft School

Can anybody advise as to the location/function of this unit? I have an armourer posted there from No. 1 Depot, Uxbidge on 19/11/37 but cannot track down any clues about it

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie,

There may be a link to RAF Market Drayton, Shropshire, HQ at that time of Inland Area Training Command (if not renamed already in 1936)...
    That's all I could find at the moment.

Regards,

Leendert

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks for trying

That was as far as I could get as well. I'm awaiting a copy of the service record to make sure the description is correct

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Eddie
    Flying Training and Support Units since 1912- Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin, is a fairly good reference source for RAF/RFC Units but has no mention of an Inland Area Aircraft School. In the book, Inland Area is a nationwide Command Unit formed by combining a N and S Area Command into a single unit based firstly at Uxbridge in 1920 and then at Bentley Priory in 1926. It evolved in May 1936 into Training Command. By 1937,in theory,Inland Area was no more and Sturtivant et al do not have any subsidiary units that survived with that in the title beyond 1926 except for the Inland Area Practice Flight at Hendon between 1933 and 1938 using Tiger Moths.
    Regards
    Dick

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks Dick

This man was posted more than once to a Unit that had been renamed or renumbered!

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default Stanmore

Possibly a connection to Stanmore? This was H.Q. of Inland Area and later Training Command.

Some officer appointments found in the Times:

19 January 1935 - S/L P.M. McSwiny to Headquarters Inland Area, Stanmore for Armament duties.

3 January 1936 - W/C the Hon. R.A. Cochrane, A.,F.C. to Headquarters Inland Area , Stanmore.

6 May 1936 - F/O J.O. Hinks to Headquarters Training Command, Stanmore.

Changes to the RAF command structure announced on 29 April 1936 to be effective 1 May 1936 included change of name from Inland Area to Training Command.

Eddie Fell Guest

This morning I received a copy of his Service Record. My best guess now is that he was actually posted to No. 1 Air Armament School, Eastchurch (he was an armourer after all) although looking at the record IAAS rather than 1AAS was an easy mistake for the person I'm doing this for to make.

Thanks to all for your suggestions though - useful for future reference

Eddie