Thread: Pilot Officer John Batten-Smith DFC Lancaster excavation

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer John Batten-Smith DFC Lancaster excavation

I am looking for information about the excavation of Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276" flown by Pilot Officer John Batten-Smith D.F.C of No. 101 Squadron RAF, I have posted a thread about the aircraft relics concerning this aircraft, but can find no information about the recovery of the Lancaster. It was shot down on 31 March 1944 and crashed at Nürnberg east in Germany (German: AK Kreuz Nürnberg Ost) where after the war it was found. If anyone knows any details about the date, and who carried out the recovery.

Dennis

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

Because the Batten-Smith crew was all RAF(VR) the documents you want are not easily available.

Had there been an RCAF or RAAF man aboard their service files, easily obtainable, would contain the MRES documents which would give you crash site, exhumation etc. But more often than not, the MRES officer, 2+ years postwar would not find anything other than the crash site. The Luftwaffe, as thousands of witness reports show were quick to remove the wreckage.

The MRES documents for this crew should be with the AHB http://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/who will not let you see them but for £30.00 they will summarize them for you. Should you be in contact with any of the families of the crew, the AHB will forgo the 30 quid.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave for the reply, I have enough information on the crew, it is the aircraft excavation details I need, the date, and who made the recovery, as there are many aircraft parts among the relics I received US fighter, Short Stirling, Halifax, and Lancaster parts. I would like to contact the person, and find out as too were and when they excavated all of the relics, and to clarify which parts are actually 101 Squadrons Lancaster.

Regards

Dennis

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

The AHB would not give you any information on the crew. They are the ones with the information on when the crash was investigated and what was found, which is why I directed you their way.

I took a look at what I have on the loss of Lancaster LL832 (SR-K2), another No. 101 Sqn machine also lost on Nürnberg. The report, filed 20 March 1947 and signed by S/Ldr GJ Hussey, No. 2 MREU, RAF offers a narrative of the crash from the village leaders, a description of the crew's location around the wreck, and makes the statement in para. 4 that "the scene of the crash was visited, but apart from a few broken trees there was no evidence of any aircraft having crashed there. It was the practise, the Luftwaffe had cleared all the wreckage"

Not knowing where you obtained the parts from, the only way to find out "when" would be in documents held by the AHB.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dennis

Allan Henry Ross was one of my maternal grandfather's two brothers. he was bomb aimed on dv276 SR-R. I have another post on the forum with more info, search for dv276 if you've not already seen it. It is posted under another ID as I forgot my password.

LizT
    Last edited by Dv276-101; 17th July 2017 at 19:46. Reason: Clarification.

Thanks

Hello alieneyes, need some info regarding the crash site below, your email box is full, regards db
    Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hi Dennis,

The AHB would not give you any information on the crew. They are the ones with the information on when the crash was investigated and what was found, which is why I directed you their way.

I took a look at what I have on the loss of Lancaster LL832 (SR-K2), another No. 101 Sqn machine also lost on Nürnberg. The report, filed 20 March 1947 and signed by S/Ldr GJ Hussey, No. 2 MREU, RAF offers a narrative of the crash from the village leaders, a description of the crew's location around the wreck, and makes the statement in para. 4 that "the scene of the crash was visited, but apart from a few broken trees there was no evidence of any aircraft having crashed there. It was the practise, the Luftwaffe had cleared all the wreckage"

Not knowing where you obtained the parts from, the only way to find out "when" would be in documents held by the AHB.

Regards,

Dave