Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/O George Thomas Vicary RCAF J1527/15727 and Can/R 69662 - 427, 144, 408 Squadrons,

Thanks

Default F/O George Thomas Vicary RCAF J1527/15727 and Can/R 69662 - 427, 144, 408 Squadrons,

I am researching each of the 7 crew members of Halifax V DK-139 coded ZL-P that was shot down on the night of 22nd/23rd June 1943 of 427 Squadron, 6 Bomber Command. All were killed. My Uncle was one of the two RAF crew members on this flight, the other five crew were RCAF. I am trying to obtain individual photos of each crew member, I have five so far. I am looking for a photo of the above, George Thomas Vicary. I know he was at No 4 Bombing and Gunnery School, Fingal, Canada on an Air Observers Course No 17 between 28th April and 7th June 1941. Next on 16 OTU on 6th September 1941. He is then with 408 Squadron at Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire on 6th January 1942 and with 144 Squadron on 28th February 1942. He joins 427 Squadron on 4th March 1943. He was an air observer/navigator. I have asked on genealogical and Bomber Command forums with no success to date and searched relevant images. I have all the written info required but am looking for an elusive photo of him and wondered if anyone on this forum would be able to help or direct me accordingly as I don't have the knowledge where next to try? Thank you.

Thanks

Have you tried the Canadian Casualty Files on Ancestry? Some of them have photos of the individual taken during training.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

No photo on ancestry.com copy of the file, just checked.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank - Yes, a lady in Canada, on Ancestry had answered my query and has sent me various that I couldn't access in the UK. I had info sent to me from the Bomber Command Museum, Canada too, plus photos of others and I was able to send them family paperwork that I have. I am just hoping he could be named on a Unit/Squadron photo that I haven't come across yet!

Thanks

Presumably you're looking for one of him in uniform?

Graduating class photos were taken at most RCAF training bases. You might want to enquire at the Library and Archives Canada for the Fingal ORB. The Toronto Globe and Mail, dated 9 June 1941 shows him as a graduating pupil. Then there's the possibility he appears in the graduating class of No. 5 AOS, Winnipeg ORB.

A better chance would be contacting his secondary school, which still exists today, but as he graduated in 1933 will obviously not be wearing a uniform: http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/eastyork/Home.aspx

Thanks

Hi
    Sergeant GT Vicary arrived at North Luffenham on the 28 Feb 42 signal M.240 27 Feb 42. 144 Squadron ORB has him arriving from 44 Squadron

He flew 6 operations as navigator with the squadron while it was still with Bomber Command. The squadron transferred to Coastal Command towards the end of April 42, moving to Leuchars in Scotland.

He was involved in the transfer of Hampdens to Russia in September 42. As P/O Vicary he flew in Hampden AE158, for him as a navigator quite a challenge.

On returning to England by sea he is in the 144 Squadron group photograph taken in November 42. He is seated on the front row, third from the right.

I have not included the photograph as it is of poor quality. Send me your email in a private message and I will send you what I have and more details on his operations while at North Luffenham, if you are interested. I have no other details on the squadrons other activities in Coastal Command.

Hope this adds to your research.

John

Thanks

Thank you - I have searched copies of the Fingal Observer but had no success for the relevant years. I shall follow up The Toronto Globe and Mail as that identifies him in the photo. Sorry - I have just searched and can't find the Toronto Globe and Mail archive papers. Do you have a link to a website or web address to find the 9th June 1941 copy. Thank you.
    Last edited by H Stevens; 20th January 2017 at 12:12.

Thanks

Thank you - I have sent a private message to you. As new to the site hope that I have done it right!

Thanks

I have received a reply via email sent from the Forum and Col Bruggy, dated 21.1.17. Unfortunately the link doesn't work, it is http://collections.civilisations.ca/...php?im=5015932 to my asking for a link to the Toronto Globe and Mail for the 9th June 1941. Is it relevant that I am in the UK?
    Does anyone know of a way I can access this photo from the archived paper of 1941? Thank you.

Thanks

H.Stevens,

I have not sent you a email, nor have I authorised anyone else to send one on my behalf. I deleted an earlier posting due to a link not functioning.

Col.