Thread: 1 REFRESHER COURSE accident 21 july 1942

Thanks

Default 1 REFRESHER COURSE accident 21 july 1942

Hi,

hopefully, someone could have the answer to this ... I am looking for information on an accident of July 21, 1942.
    An Airspeed oxford X6793 (Miall, Fancony) crashed near Abbottsinch.
    does anyone knows informations contained in form 1180 about this accident?

Thank you in advance

MLT

Thanks

Hi Michel,

according to the RAF serials by Air Britain:

Oxford Mk.I X6793 1 Refresher Flying Training School
    Flew into ground in bad visibility on navex, Windy Yet (sic), Stewarton, Renfrewshire, 21.7.42, destroyed by fire.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello,

From “Clipped Wings” Vol 1 by Colin Cummings (of this forum) :-

“The aircraft, operating from RAF Kirknewton, was being flown on a cross country navigation exercise and had been airborne for about 90 minutes. The crew became lost in poor weather and it seems probable that they were losing height in an attempt to break cloud but they struck the ground and the aircraft was destroyed by fire”

The crew are given as Corporal J C Gale DeFranconq (Free French Air Force) and P/O Gerald Compton Miall.

Kirknewton is near Edinburgh while the crash happened near Glasgow but I think some distance from Abbotsinch (now Glasgow Airport). Clipped Wings gives the location as Stewartson Road Glasgow but I think this is actually Stewarton Road (without the second s). This is a road in the suburbs on the southern outskirts of Glasgow in the area known as Newton Mearns.

Stewarton itself is a small town roughly south-south- west of Glasgow and even further away from Abbotsinch. Both Stewarton and Newton Mearns lie on an area of relatively high ground on the edge of the Eaglesham and Fenwick moors.

Having lived in the area I know only too well that even in summer the area can be widely affected by low cloud and poor visibility.

J

Thanks

From the Abbotsinch station ORB

July 21st 1942, “Oxford aircraft X6793 crashed and burnt out at Stewarton – 2 crew P/O Miall and Capitaine Jacques Gele de Francony killed, aircraft en route Kirknewton to Prestwick."

Abbotsinch's involvement was down to them taking Casualty Action.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Dear colleagues
    I would like to thank you very much for the delicate manner in which you have used your knowledge and the documents you hold.
    This beautiful example of availability touches me really, and I wanted to thank you deeply
    truly

MLT

Thanks

Hi,
    Windy Yet is a Farm about 5km to the North East the village of Stewarton in Ayrshire on the Stewarton Road from Glasgow. I vaguely remember visiting the site in the 1980's. The area is known locally for mist, driving rain and snow in the winter. There is also a Hudson crashed about a KM south of the Oxford but I can't remember offhand if the crash was due to bad weather.

Alan.

Thanks

Hello,

8 FPP Hudson III AE489, flew into ground in fog Blacklaw Farm, Lowtown, 4km N of Stewarton, Ayrshire 26-12-1941 (2 killed)
    http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/ATA%20Casualties.htm

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th January 2017 at 10:16.

Thanks

Thanks Col,
    That's the Hudson, crashed in a very boggy bit of ground too.

Michel,
    I can send you a map with the exact location at Windy Yet Farm marked if it is of use.

Alan.