Thread: Eric Brown & Soviet aircraft

Thanks

Default Eric Brown & Soviet aircraft

Gents
    Eric Brown flew a variety of Soviet aircraft types, some of them not present in Allied or NATO inventory. Where did he do so?
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi Franek

New to this forum but hope this helps, from Capt Brown's "Wings on my Sleeve"

(page 107)...some ten days after Germany's capitulation...
    ....flew to Schleswig...to take over a Siebel 204D...
    My destination was Tarnewitz in Easte Germany which was occupied by the Russians.
    ...the commandant...had formerly flown Hurricanes....
    ...he offered me thecompliment of flying some of his aircraft....
    ...in the case of the Yak-9 ...and PE-2....
    My new-found friend passed me on to another Russian occupied airfield near Meissen...
    ...a rather sick German Bv 141..
    (page 115)In June...tasked with taking a senior boffin to Rechlin...
    I used a Firefly for this trip, but with intent, becauseI planned to visit....nearby Tarnewitz...
    ....delighted to swop a MIG-3 and then a Lavochkin 7 for two hops in the Firefly.
    ...Strangely, all Russian aircraft I flew had that distinctive wood and resin smell...

As far as the list at Appendix 1 is concerned, this leaves the Ilyushin 2 and 4, Polikarpov I-15 and I-16 and Yakovlev-9 and -11 whilst there is no mention of where or when he flew the post-war MIG-15, Mil-1, Mil-2 and Mil-4 types. All designations are as in his book.

Dave

Thanks

Thanks. Weird, older types like MiG-3 or I-15 were not in use at the time. Perhaps the aircraft captured by Germans, by any chance? I guess his logs would help immensely. I understand, that they are owned by FAA Museum now, but when would they be accessible?