Thread: No.12 Squadron July 1943

Thanks

Default No.12 Squadron July 1943

Does anyone on here have the Form 540 for No.12 Sqn for July 1943, I was asked a question about a USAAF officer who was posted out of his unit, where he was a Bombardier, to 12 SGD which could be an abbreviation for 12 Squadron. I am looking for a posting in on or just after the 1st of John W. Beauchamp. He later remustered as a pilot and was killed during operational conversion in May 1944.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Alan,

I haven't got access t my 12 Sqn ORBCD at the moment, but from memory the whole of July 1943is missing from the master copy at TNA. When I get access to my files, I'll check for you, but I'm pretty certain that it is July '43 that's missing.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

When I was researching 12 Sqn for my biography of Jo Lancaster, later test pilot, I indeed found that July 43 was missing.

David

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation David :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Oh well, never mind, thank for checking.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Alan,

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but your man is mentioned on this page four times, including the reference to 12 SGD that you mentioned in your original post: -

http://www.91stbombgroup.com/Dailies/322ndjan1943.html

In my experience, it wasn't unusual for Americans to serve in Bomber Command squadrons - certainly 100 Squadron had a couple. But they were generally Americans who had crossed the border to volunteer with the RCAF before America entered the war. One such example is Tommy Morgan, who was killed on a training flight with 100 Squadron in the autumn of 1943 after completing his tour - he had taken a new crew up on a local familiarisation flight.

After America had entered the war, these men were given the option of transferring back to the American Army Air Force, but of those who were already doing tours in Bomber Command, many elected to stay and complete their tours. As I understand it (and I am happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable)many of these men also transferred to the American Army Air Force and wore the uniform, whilst completing their tours in Bomber Command.

However Alan, I've never heard of an American airman being transferred direct from an American unit to a Bomber Command squadron. That's not to say it didn't happen of course (and I'm sure someone will now come up with an example or two!!) but I've never come across it myself.

Not an answer to your question as such, but I hope it shines a little bit of light on your conundrum. Are American servicemens' records available to view anywhere? If so, perhaps you could get hold of Beauchamp's record and see what that says?

All the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison