Thread: Bogdan Biedul - Research

Thanks

Default Bogdan Biedul - Research

Hello

My grand father, Bogdan Biedul, joined the RAF after being released from the USSR in 1941/1942.

His DoB is 10-2-1928, however he lied about this to make him appear older, 10-2-1925.

I am looking for any details about where he may have joined the RAF, his route throughout the middle east before arriving in England.

A number that appears on a few of his documents is 707016 kpr.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Ross Ankers (mothers maiden name Biedul).

Thanks

Ross
    Your GF did not join RAF, only the Polish Air Force. His Polish rank was kapral, and you already have his service number. His wartime service rank was LAC, and he was a driver, a not very glamorous but important service.
    The most likely route of your GF was through the camps in the Soviet Union and then to Persia to the 2 Polish Corps. At some point he must have volunteered or be transferred to the PAF. Most accurate details you shall get from his personal file.

Thanks

Some of the released Poles from Siberia went overland via Iraq, most made their way to Krasnovodsk (now Turkmenbasy) in Turkmenistan and took a ship across the Caspian Sea to Pahlavi (now Anzali) in Persia (now Iran). They were kept in two separate tented encampments - one for the chronically sick, one for the reasonably healthy where they recovered before joining Anders Army or the PAF.

Judging by his age, he would have gone to the military school at Heliopolis or the RAF Apprentice Centre at RAF Halton in England.

Email me on nevillebougourd@gmail.com and I will try to help you.