Thread: KN500 Dakota IV 525 Sqn crash 30 Jan 1946

Sue020 Guest

Default KN500 Dakota IV 525 Sqn crash 30 Jan 1946

I have been contacted by two French historians who are organising the placing of a memorial stone at the site of this crash, south of Le Mans in France. My late uncle Fl.Lt. Lancelot ELIAS, DFC, was one of the 11 men on board, all of whom were killed. They are buried at Le Grand-Luce Cemetary.

The historians have managed to contact descendants of some of the families concerned, but not all. I thought it was worth trying this board to see if any other relatives can be traced. The names of the men are:

SHEPHERD, Harry Raymond, DFC
    TUGWELL, Stephen Maurice
    BAIN, Victor Albert
    BARTLETT, Eric Edward
    BROWN, Norman Leslie
    EDWARDS, Joseph Edmund
    ELIAS, Lancelot Benjamin Albert
    FUNNELL, Victor Frank
    KNOWLES, Thomas
    SCOTT, Arthur William Atkinson
    STEPHEN, James

If anyone can suggest any other ways of finding descendants which might be worth trying, I would be grateful. The historians contacted me through the RAF, who had my address on file because I requested copies of my uncle's service records from them a few years ago.

Chris Scott Guest

Hello Sue,

I am also a beginner at this kind of research, but, as the experts are evidently having a busy weekend, here's my two-pennies' worth.

Presume you've trawled CWGC website, and know that they usually include the location of the next-of-kin. If not, try this link, for example:
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2846592

Haven't looked at the other fatalities, but if they include the towns of next-of-kin you could try the 2007 Electoral Roll with the surnames, some of which are quite unusual in your case.

Now that this post has got you to the top of the pile, one of the experts may be able to set me straight with a better line of enquiry!

Good luck, Chris

Thanks

Sue/Chris,
    Some of "The Experts" may very well be on the other side of the world - and safely tucked up in bed!! There is little that escapes their beady eyes!
    There are a number of Experts in NW Europe who are not only active in WW2 aviation history, but are also well into the various (genealogical, BMD Certs, etc) means whereby sources can be found to help you in your researches. On this Forum (and it's forerunner) a number of similar requests have come to fruition. But it may take some time!
    Try Bruno Lecaplain at http://www.raf38group.org/. It may well come into his area of expertise. Or (as is often the case!) he knows someone who does!!!
    Good luck!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Sue020 Guest

Default KN500 Dakota IV 525 Sqn crash 30 Jan 1946

Many thanks for theses helpful suggestions, and to Howard, who has answered off line. In my ignorance, I had not realised that the CWGC covers post-1945 deaths - its great to have access to the experts on this list!
    Sue 020

Thanks

Default Kn500 Dakota Crash 30/01/1946

My uncle on my mothers side was the navigator of this flight Flying Officer James Stephen. Just before he was killed my mother moved from Glasgow to London where she met my father. I always remember her having an absolute fear of thunderstorms and aircraft which she flatly refused ever to travel in.

Thanks

I have posted a reply to this stating that Flying Officer James Stephen was my uncle on my mothers side. I have been finding out all I could from the RAF Air Historical Branch who have supplied me with some details of the crash

Thanks

Default Dakota KN500

I have had contact with Colin Bain, the son of Victor Albert BAIN, and I will let him know about your search.

Thanks

Sue
    As Chris has written, the 2007 electoral roll .

Other suggestions---
    As Tugwell's wife came from Alberton,Prince Edward Island, Canada, her relatives should be easy-ish to trace .I would expect families would know each other, on the island ? There are lots of PEI sites on google, including local newspapers & a forum on --http://www.hometowncanada.com/pe/history/Alberton.html.

The married airmen may have children esp. Funnel who was 31 .
    Shepherd is spelled Shephard on www.cwgc.org debt of honour register.

Depends how long you want to spend on searching for relatives .Try the local home town newspapers [ring a reporter rather than email or try a Letter to the Editor ] Also www.bt.com for residential phone numbers -eg there are 4 Tugwells in the Cardiff area.
    Scott & Brown may be more difficult.

Regards
    Anne