Thread: bulls-eye

Thanks

Default bulls-eye

Hi,

I have difficulties to understand a phrase in a document, so maybe someone can explain how the part "well spotted with bulls-eye" of the following sentence is meant. It is part of a BBC radio report about the raid against Duesseldorf on 1.8.1942:

Bright moonlight lit up the target, and it was a target well spotted with bulls-eyes for Dusseldorf is as important as Essen and Duisburg in the production of armaments and engineering.

Does it mean that a good target has been chosen by Bomber Command or who is this meant?

Thanks.

Best.

Marcel

Thanks

I believe the meaning was this: it was a target, and it was 'spotted' with many perfect hits or bulls-eyes. The use of 'spotted' in this context means it had visible marks, like a Dalmatian dog is said to be 'spotted' because it has spots. Just a flippant way of saying it was hit many times.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,

I hope you don't mind my adding that the term derives from the circular target used for archery; the bull's-eye is the small central circle of the target, an arrow hitting this is credited with the highest score - 10. Arrows hitting outer rings score less.

Brian

Thanks

Brian, of course you are right and I have now re-read the text of the radio broadcast.
    Marcel, I believe what the newsreader was saying is that there were many individual targets (bulls-eyes) in the city, not that there were many hits.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Ok, thanks to both of you ... that was a difficult one for me.

Marcel