Thread: General inquiry re: SFTS training (as it pertains to W/C David Sinclair RCAF 408 Sqn)

Thanks

Default General inquiry re: SFTS training (as it pertains to W/C David Sinclair RCAF 408 Sqn)

Hello all,
    2 questions that I admit that I am embarrassed not to know the answers to:
    1) When Sinclair enlisted, he did so at the rank of Pilot Officer. Would that be because he already possessed a university degree (in engineering) at that time?
    2) He seemingly went from ITS straight to SFTS. There is no mention of EFTS anywhere in his personnel file? I have no indication that he was a private pilot prior to enlisting and even then, would that have given him a pass on EFTS?
    Sincere thanks again, for all your help.
    Bob

Thanks

Just a thought , but he might have been in a University Air Squadron and had already received basic training and possibly already had flying experience.
    Any idea which university he went to?

Paul

Thanks

What dates are we talking about?

A pre-war Short Service Commission officer would have joined as a Plt Off and undertaken all his training at a FTS.

Malcolm

Thanks

His file recommends him for commission.

His first entry is time at the Winnipeg Flying Club.

It may be that he already held a private pilot's license.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Greetings all.
    Dave, sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say first entry at the Flying Club? That is did he enlist there? Although it would make sense that he had a private pilot's license, would not that feature prominently in his application file?
    Malcolm: He enlisted in January 1940 and went to SFTS in May.
    Paul: He went to McGill University and graduated in 1937 (the yearbook is online). Apart from a reference to using a sextant, there is no mention of him being a cadet.
    Thank-you very much for your help with this,
    Bob

Thanks

Bob,

Image 55 of 360 shows him at the Winnipeg Flying Club.

This doesn't seem too rare as this entry from Hugh Honours and Awards database shows:

COX, F/L Ronald Sydney (J11464) - Air Medal (United States) - 11th USAAF - effective 27 August 1943 as per Canada Gazette dated 4 May 1946 and AFRO 473/46 dated 10 May 1946. Home in Winnipeg, Manitoba; enlisted there 4 June 1940. Trained at No.1 ITS (graduated 20 July 1940), Winnipeg Flying Club (graduated 14 September 1940) and No.1 SFTS. See Cochand for details; flights were 22 July to 13 August 1943.
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for this. Again, I am slowly becoming acquainted with the subject matter so your patience is appreciated.
    You mentioned "Cox" but I was referring to David Sinclair Jacobs. What am I missing?
    Also, unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Hugh Honours and the Awards database.
    More importantly, I see the reference to the Winnipeg Flying Club which raises the question why was he there? I though the usual sequence for pilot training was ITS-EFTS-SFTS. Why would he go to the Flying School before ITS?
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I used Cox as an example that Jacobs' connection to the Winnipeg Flying Club wasn't so uncommon. No doubt Hugh Halliday, who is also a member here, will come up with quite a few more from his database.

Regards,

Dave