Default Re: 12 o' clock high forum

Ok,
    Many thanks for the update.
    Regards

Thanks

Default Re: 12 o' clock high forum

I got an email today...

To Twelve O’Clock High members,

According to Ruy Horta, TOCH's founder and administrator, there has been a serious corruption of the site's database. He cannot make any predictions about when or if he can fix it.

My own experience was there was no problem around 0800 British Summer Time on Wednesday 22 September but by about 1030 all I got was error messages

Please pass this information on to anyone who asks. I’m sorry not to have more positive news at the moment.

(TOCH Moderators)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Andy Mitchell (27th September 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: TOCH Forum Problem

I just tried again and got the same error message, this is beginning to look worrying for TOCH
    Does anybody have any positive news ?
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

The information about the site database being corrupted is a bit of a concern,

the Vbulletin forum software (Which this site uses as well) has nearly 200 tables in it - but pretty much all the data you need is concentrated in just 5-6 tables. the most important one being the 'posts' table... if that is corrupted and no back up exists, then the forum is done.

The Aug 27 snapshot on Wayback machine shows the following stats Threads: 52,955, Posts: 297,696

Thats pretty much double the size of the content on THIS forum.

its the table with the 297000 posts that is most important.. rest can be built from scratch.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Andy Mitchell (1st October 2021),paulmcmillan (1st October 2021),wwrsimon (1st October 2021)

Thanks

Interesting Japan, thank you for explaining. Is the forum posts data backed up somewhere automatically by the Forum software, or does someone need to do it manually every so often and store it ‘off-site’ as it were?

I’d be worried if they didn’t do regular back-ups…

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Someone needs to manually do the backups often and store it off-site.. usually we end up doing a backup once in a quarter, or six months or an year..a nd before you know it, you totally forget about it till something like this reminds you.

For our forum - we need not worry. for additional peace of mind, we pay the hosting service provider to take weekly backups.. And i can download those anytime i need to. In light of this - i downloaded one copy to my desktop as well.. (who knows if the service provider decides to quit in a hurry!)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (2nd October 2021),Håkan (2nd October 2021),jonheyworth (4th October 2021),jonny (3rd October 2021),wwrsimon (1st October 2021)

Thanks

Folks , I know there must have been some topics close to our hearts on the TOCH Forum that we cannot access. My suggestion is to 'save' cached copies of the threads locally on your Hard Drive.

steps:

Go to Google : do a search like "site:forum.12oclockhigh.net RAF and RAAF ORBs available on the Web"

The results will show you multiple pages.. Clicking on the link will show you an error.. But you should click the three vertical dots next to the search result which will show a pop up window.. and in there bottom right you will see a button "Cached". Click that to view a google cached page

Eg..

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

When this page opens up and you can read the content - "Right Click -> Save as : default page title" that saves a local copy on your HD.

Archive View

Sometimes if you add the word "Archive" you will get a singel Archive View page of the thread in question..

Eg: RAF and RAAF pilot's Log Books on the net Archive

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    This view brings up the entire thread in one single page in plain format.. Save this..

Thanks

TOCH is back up

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Andy Mitchell (8th October 2021),Jagan (9th October 2021)

Thanks

Thank you Paul for this important update.
    I am sure that many on this Forum were very worried that we had seen the last of TOCH.
    So very glad that it is back on line.
    A well done is due to all who helped

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Smart For This Useful Post:

Jagan (9th October 2021),paulmcmillan (10th October 2021)