Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Master Bomber

Thanks

Hello,

SDF Binbrook sent three crews to Crisbecq and three to St Martin de Vareville .

Crisbecq : P/O Daley, P/O Rollin, F/Lt Stewart . Daley carried 11x1000 lbs and 4x500 lbs he did all the ops on three engine ....bombed from8000 ft .
    St Martin de Vareville : P/O Ladbury, P/O Knowles, P/O Wearmouth . this one carried the same load that above ....

There are no ORB for SDF . They must have been lost or somewhere at Kew but never found .
    I carry the research on SDF since 1993,and can reconstitute their duty only bu using lobooks of the airmen involved .

P/O Martin Knowles was lost on 1july 1944 over Vierzon, shot down by a night fighter ...

hope it is of interest , Alain.

Thanks

Their bomb loads are consistent with the Bomber Command Summary of Opererations for June 5/6 which show the only TIs dropped on Crisbecq & St. Martin de Vareville were from the PFF Mosquitos. 8 Group marked all 10 targets with Mosquitos, and 7 targets with Lancasters. According to the summary, the only non PFF TIs dropped on the coastal batteries that night were dropped by 5 Group Lancasters & Mosquitos from 627 Squadron, who backed up the Oboe marking at both La Pernelle and St. Pierre du Mont.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 13th February 2017 at 18:19.

Thanks

Thank you for the SDF input, Alain; do the crew log books you have indicate take-off and landing times?

The ORBs of the five squadrons identified as the main force vary in the amount of information given, but only that for 300 Squadron provides clues as to whether there was or wasn't a MB for the two targets:

At briefing crews were instructed to bomb target on TI markers if possible; if not bomb on GEE- fix.

None of the ORBs make any reference to an MB, simply that the crews bombed on TIs, which suggests they had received similar instructions to 300 Squadron.

Three squadrons, 100, 103 and 576, include one or more references to seeing TIs disappearing into cloud, implying the main force was hot on the heels of the PFF Mosquitoes.

Brian

Thanks

I am not sure if this adds relevant information for you, Brian, but 166 Sqn attacked Crisbecq at 2337.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thank you, Mikkel, I have sent a PM.
    Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alain charpentier View Post
    Hello,

SDF Binbrook sent three crews to Crisbecq and three to St Martin de Vareville .

Crisbecq : P/O Daley, P/O Rollin, F/Lt Stewart . Daley carried 11x1000 lbs and 4x500 lbs he did all the ops on three engine ....bombed from8000 ft .
    St Martin de Vareville : P/O Ladbury, P/O Knowles, P/O Wearmouth . this one carried the same load that above ....

There are no ORB for SDF . They must have been lost or somewhere at Kew but never found .
    I carry the research on SDF since 1993,and can reconstitute their duty only bu using lobooks of the airmen involved .

P/O Martin Knowles was lost on 1july 1944 over Vierzon, shot down by a night fighter ...

hope it is of interest , Alain.
    Curioser and curioser . . .

It will be interesting to try and reconcile the Sqn ORB's with the 1 Group ORB and Monthly Summary. There's clearly a disconnect between the Group entries, which suggest SDF providing operational control, and the Squadron accounts that don't seem to notice it! How were SDF bomb loads described for other ops in June, Alain - is it obvious when markers are carried? Might the SDF details be a part of the Binbrook ORB? The Base ORB is vague and doesn't add or detract anything from the Group entries. I was excited to discover the significant role that SDF played, but it needs another level of detail to be clear about exactly how they performed their task on most of the individual operations (some are fairly well described in the Group ORB).

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 17th February 2017 at 10:49.

Thanks

Bonjour Richard,

it tooks me years to reconstitute the SDF existence from April 44 to August 44.....Greg helped well too, but the most come contact with ex airmen of SDF and their archives ...
    The first contact was with John Marks (625 squadron) who has been amongst the first crews selected ....then bit by bit I joined pilots and their crew ...We exchanged a lot of mails, I have still some hole in my research but I think I have arrived to a well picture of the activity of SDF .
    Many research at Kew drove to Nothing ....no ORB, just few things in some documents, can be found and still to have found...It would take lot of time to find other bits ...

The maximum of crews involved in SDF was 12 in July 44, losses : 2 crews, one at Mailly le Camp, the other one at Vierzon .
    20 operations were made as Markers and illuminators, 10 as normal bombing .

The end of operations over France ended the existence of SDF .....in august 44 .And there was already two Group making PFF , 8 and 5 Group ....So ....

Thanks

Thanks Alain, that's fascinating. Sounds like you've exhausted all the lines of research! What sparked your interest in the SDF?

Richard

Thanks

Bonjour Richard ,

it is because SDF was the Marker and illuminator force over Vierzon on 1 july 1944 my birth town ....I wanted to know more and that was the beginning of endless research...I still carry the research but it is more difficult now, I think Something has to be find at Kew...will see if I can go there again !

Alain

Thanks

When I started this I hadn't realised it would go on quite as long as it has, my thanks to all who have contributed.

Should anyone be interested the 576 Squadron ORB gives the route for this operation as Base (Elsham Wold for 576 Sqn) - Upper Heyford - Bridport - 50*20' N 02*40' W - 50*00' N 01*20' W - Crisbecq/St Martin de Varreville - 49*20' N 01*20' W - 49*40' N 02*30' W - Sidmouth - Upper Heyford - Base. I think the others must have been the same

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 19th February 2017 at 19:42.