Thread: Mining the Danube in 1944

Default Mining the Danube in 1944

For several years my Slovak friend Peter Kak and I have been researching a little-known aspect of the RAF's bombing war, the 1944 mining of the River Danube by 205 Group, operating from Italy. I am pleased now to announce that the fruits of our labour have been published as 'Gardening by Moonlight: 205 Group RAF mining operations over the River Danube in 1944'.

Romanian oil, from the fields around Ploesti, was crucial to the German war effort. The USAAF and (to a lesser extent) the RAF attempted, with varying success, to disrupt the supply by bombing the oil refineries themselves, while the RAF undertook the disruption of the river transport system carrying the oil to Germany. Modest in scale, involving only nine squadrons, two of them South African, the Danube mining was nonetheless an outstanding success. At the cost, between April and October 1944 of 16 aircraft and their crews, Axis river shipping was constantly disrupted, at times to the point of paralysis. Peter's extensive research into German, Hungarian and Slovak archives reveals just how successful the mining campaign was. Mine was the easier task of researching the RAF and SAAF records. Between us we have compiled a complete and detailed account of a small-scale campaign that had a major impact.

In an appendix we detail the complementary night intruder attacks on Danube shipping carried out intermittently between June and September by Beaufighters of 255 Squadron.

'Gardening by Moonlight' is profusely illustrated and includes much survivor narrative. It is available online from http://www.lulu.com/shop/peter-ka%C5...-22997160.html
    and the cost is 17USD

David Gunby

Hello David,
    My copy arrived today and first impressions are very good. Peter made me aware of the project some years ago and it is clear that you have put a lot of work into this. Well done.

By the way, the LuLu site was much easier to use than some I have come across.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    FILE COPYING AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES

Hello,

How the world of publishing has changed! I ordered 2 copies of "Gardening by Moonlight" from Lulu on 3 February, 2017. My two copies arrived at my P.O Box on Thursday 10 February, 2017. Here's the rub, they were printed in an establishment about 12 miles from my home in Australia!!! Need a bit more time to digest the contents, but they look good. Just one minor grouch - have authors/publishers forgotten the art of indexing? (Roll on BLME2).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th February 2017 at 09:13.

Thanks Bruce and Col.

BLME is likely to be published by Air Britain. Negotiations begun.

Col, my copies emanated from Melbourne!

David

David,

So did my copies, Docklands Press, Port Melbourne, to be precise! Good to see some progress on BLME2, now we must get to work on that other bloke, forgotten his name. Oh! Mr McNeill.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th February 2017 at 22:23.