Thread: F/Sgt Colin Wynne Cotterill 904427 500 Squadron 14th January 1942

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Colin Wynne Cotterill 904427 500 Squadron 14th January 1942

Hi

Hope someone will be able to help please with information into the loss of F/Sgt Colin Wynne Cotterill RAFVR 904427 of 500 Squadron died 14th January 1942
    He is buried at Great Bircham St.Marys church

Thanks

Thanks

Colin Cotterill died as the result of a tragic accident on 14th Jan 1942. He was on a bus going through the village of Heacham in Norfolk (not far from Bircham Newton where he was based) returning from a dance at the Kit-Kat Club in Hunstanton. He felt unwell and put his head out of the bus window. Unfortunately he did this just as the bus was passing a cottage with a wall which stuck out close to the road. His head hit the wall and he died at the scene of massive head injuries. He had married Margaret Emmeline Poulton, in the Salisbury area, two weeks before his death.

He was originally from Edinburgh but his Mother was living in Perthshire when he died. His father, Captain (Temp) Denis Cotterill was an army medical officer who died in December 1918 at a casualty clearing station , I believe in France.

Colin had learned to fly before the war and was issued his Airman’s Certificate while with the Hampshire Aeroplane Club on 28/4/39. At that time he was living and presumably working at Fryern Court Farm in Hampshire.

Hope this is of assistance. J.
    Last edited by norfolkjohn; 12th February 2017 at 12:01. Reason: Additiional info

Thanks

John

Many thanks for that very prompt answer much appreciated.

Regards
    A

Thanks

No problem - have just updated my original post with a few more details. What is your interest in this chap if I may ask ?
    J.

Thanks

Thanks for the update.
    A colleague is researching and giving a talk on wartime service personnel who rowed for the Leander Club in Henley-on-Thames during WW1 and WW2 I believe