Thread: Crash site of Lancaster NG170 227 squadron 3.3.45

Thanks

Default Crash site of Lancaster NG170 227 squadron 3.3.45

Good afternoon,
    It's been a while since I've needed to ask for guidance here, however I'm currently re-building my website www.ordinarycrew.co.uk after it was abruptly chopped last year because the host company decided they were no longer going to support the admittedly ageing format! However it has given me the opportunity and impetuous to start adding a lot of new material to my latest website that I have accumulated which includes some reports from aircraft in the bomber stream of Lancs going down.

My particular area of interest and the subject of the website is Lancaster III ME453 of 467 squadron RAAF based at Waddington. On the night of 3 March 45 Lancasters from 5 Group attacked their "favourite" target of the Dortmund-Ems aqueduct near Ladbergen, NW Germany. 7 Lancasters were lost that night: ME453, PB806, and LM677 from 467 squadron, NG469 from 463 squadron, NG204 from 207 squadron, NG170 from 227 squadron and PA197 from 189 squadron. Theo Boiten/Rod Mackenzie state in the Nachtjagd War Diaries: "It is known that four Lancasters came down during the approach to the target between Tilbeck 13km E of Munster and Pentrup, 3km N of Greven; these were 207 squadron Lancaster NG204, 227 squadron NG170, and 467 squadron Lancasters LM677 and ME453...."

I know the precise crash site of ME453 at Pentrup, indeed I have parts of that aircraft in my possession, I'm pretty sure about LM677 at Havixbeck and NG204 at Tilbeck from MRES reports, however my evidence for NG170 at Altenberge is from a secondary source, i.e. another forum which I cannot confirm. I'd be interested to know if anybody here is able to confirm NG170's crash position.
    Regards
    Max Williams
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Hi Max,

I emailed you a page confirming Altenberge as the crash site.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Dave, turned up trumps (oops, am I allowed to say that word!?) as usual.
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453