Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 149 & 199 Squadrons

Thanks

John

I have had a look at the 199 ORB and the first record I can see of Sgt. Dodsworth was when he flew as a second pilot on the night of 12/13 August 1943 with the crew piloted by F/O Archer to Turin. Your father subsequently flew on 13 operations in the Dodsworth crew : -

La Rochelle (mining) on 25/26 August 1943
    Nuremburg on 27/28 August 1943
    Munchengladbach on 30/31 August 1943
    Berlin on 31 August / 1 September 1943
    Mannheim on 5/6 September 1943
    Boulogne North on 8/9 September 1943
    Hanover on 22/23 September 1943
    Mannheim on 23/24 September 1943
    Hanover on 27/28 September 1943
    Kassel on 3 / 4 October 1943
    Frankfurt on 4/5 October 1943
    Leverkusen on 19/20 November 1943. F/Sgt. Dodsworth was awarded an immediate DFM after this operation.

Your fatherís 13th operation was on 6/7 January 1944 for a mining operation to the San Sebastian area. On this operation, the aircraft was hit five times by fire from a U-boat which could not be seen until it was astern of the aircraft. The navigator Sgt. H. Todd was injured in the knee but continued with his duties resulting in an immediate DFM after the operation.

I cannot see any evidence of your father flying with 199 after this date.

It is not inconceivable that your father knew my uncle who was a W.Op/AG with 199 and who also took part in the operations to Nuremburg, Munchengladbach, Berlin, Mannheim (twice) and Hanover (twice). Sadly, he lost his life on the second operation to Hanover.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

John

A new book about 199 called Let Tyrants Tremble by John Reid and published by Stenlake Publishing Limited has a photograph of your father and his crew (page 61).

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

Douglas, thanks for the heads-up - I have ordered the book today.

I have a follow-up question regarding my father's tour in 199 Squadron. Was it usual to transfer to another squadron in mid tour. You advise that you can only trace 13 operations in 199 Squadron ending January 1944. My father was subsequently flying operations in India in 356 Squadron from August 1944.

Regards

John

Thanks

John

There must have been numerous examples of crews moving to different squadrons in mid tour e.g. when a new squadron was formed. Take into account by late November 1943 and certainly by early January 1944, Stirling squadrons were removed from Main Force duties due to the significant losses suffered by these squadrons. The role that 199 had played was also changing i.e. from a Main Force squadron with 3 Group to Bomber Support and radio countermeasures in 100 Group by early May 1944.

It may be that due to the reduced role of 199 around January 1944, a number of near misses / serious incidents during their tour with 199 and the undoubted bravery of the Dodsworth crew, that they were screened earlier in their tour than most crews would have anticipated.

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

Hello Jane,
    please visit our site. We are trying to get stories of all the allied victims who are burried on the Eindhoven cemetery.
    http://gravenstichtingbrabant.nl/gra...sher-harlem-2/
    If you have any additional information or photo we would appriciate.
    Kind regards
    Frank van Dijk