Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Early RAF B-17 Operations Questions and at least 1 anwer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robstitt View Post
    Hi Paul:

Checking the 90 Sqn ORB, 'McLaren' arrived on May 24, 1941, as a S/Ldr. But according to the LG my initial pick Archibald Duncan McLaren (41440) became a F/Lt four months later on August 23, 1941.

So, unless I'm missing something, the latter does not appear to be my man, per logbook signatures, 'S/Ldr A D McLaren'.

I've seen refs to him being known as 'Andy' but the LG doesn't return a viable match for an 'Andrew McLaren'.

Robert
    Rob,

I wouldn't dismiss 41440 Archibald Duncan McLAREN too quickly as your man. He rates a mention here: http://156squadron.com/101Sqn/view_a...?pCrewid=16647 (Note the posting to 13 OTU). His rank at the time of his DFC award (6-6-1941), was A/F/L.

Inconclusve, I admit, but work on it!

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th March 2017 at 01:06.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Interesting, David. According to a report found at TNA, crew armour plate was also removed.

Robert

Thanks

Thanks, Col.

The 90 Sqn ORB notes McLaren came from 13 OTU.

I will!

Found a photo of Archibald Duncan McLaren's grave: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...&GRid=66463508

Looks like he may have been stationed at Benson at the time.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 8th March 2017 at 04:51. Reason: Added grave photo and Benson refs

Thanks

Rob,

7-6-1951
    No.58 Sqn, Benson
    Mosquito T.III VT625

Rolled over hit ground on approach, Benson.

41440 S/L Archibald Duncan McLAREN DFC RAF +
    4033985 Sgt David Neville JONES RAF +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th March 2017 at 06:42.

Thanks

Dave Wallace drew my attention to this topic yesterday, and so I thought I would join the Forum to share what I know about Jim Foulsham, who was my wife’s uncle.

Whether the following information is relevant to your research, Robert/Paul, I do not know, but if it helps, here it is:

The crew to ferry back the B-17 sailed on RMS Georgic with Convoy WS.7 which was headed for Freetown. The passenger ship Georgic was being used as a troop carrier and departed Liverpool on 22 March 1941. She proceeded independently to join the convoy at Clyde, which departed on 24 March, and later left the convoy to proceed independently to Halifax. The passenger list shows that the crew were in transit to California. The roles of the crew were not shown, but they were: Rodney COLES, James FOULSHAM, Donald JEREMIAH, George NICHOLSON, William UPRICHARD, and George WATT.

I have accumulated a considerable amount of information about Jim Foulsham’s wartime activities in the course of my research and would be happy to share this to the extent it is relevant, if you could confirm what you would like to know. For example, I could give you a brief history of his service with the RAF from 1935?

Bob

Edit: I see from elsewhere on the Forum that Jeremiah (Jeremian?) appears to have been the co-pilot.
    Last edited by BobKat14; 8th March 2017 at 09:46. Reason: Co-pilot ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

AN528's crew was: S/Ldr James Foulsham, F/O Jeremian (co-pilot), Sgt Owen, Sgt Love and Sgt Price. The other names you mention were members of other B-17C ferry crews although I don't see George WATT listed.

For my purposes, having Foulsham's first name is sufficient, thanks, although your post does make me wonder if others in my list could be confirmed from passenger ship records.

Robert

Thanks

Thanks, Col.

Thanks

Thanks for correcting my assumption that the five were all from the same crew, Rob! And, yes, I guess that passenger lists could be a useful source for you.

Edit: On checking the Ancestry passenger lists, Donald Jeremian (?) definitely appears as Donald Jeremiah, so which is correct I cannot tell.

Further edit: The London Gazette and CWGC records show him as Donald Jeremiah (40395). Might these records also be of help in your search?
    Last edited by BobKat14; 8th March 2017 at 16:31. Reason: Jeremiah or Jeremian ?

Thanks

Hi Bob:

Checked the hand-written (my excuse) Gander Watch Log and it indeed says Jeremiah. Thanks for the typo save.

Meant to ask: Do you know which RAF unit Foulsham was with prior to ferrying AN528 and what kind of multi-engine experience he had?

Rob
    Last edited by robstitt; 8th March 2017 at 19:22.

Thanks

Rob,

Jim Foulsham was granted a four-year short service commission in 1935. He was flying Blenheims with 57 Sqn at the outbreak of the war. He was then attached to the Blind Approach School in 1940. Unfortunately, his wartime logbook has not survived, so I donít know what aircraft he flew at that time.

At the time of his ferrying duties he was at RAF Wyton. After the B-17, he ferried a Hudson back to England. Later in 1941 he was flying Stirlings with 15 Sqn. Clearly he would have had to have had multi-engine experience before undertaking his ferrying duties across the Atlantic but, sadly, I canít say what.

After this, he was with 1524 Beam Air Training Flight before taking charge of the Central Navigational School in 1943, for which he was awarded the AFC. He joined 109 Sqn as a Mosquito pathfinder pilot in 1944, and he was flying an Oboe-equipped Lancaster (the only one in existence) when he was shot down. He was subsequently awarded a DFC.

The overall impression is that he was an extremely experienced pilot, and must have been so in 1941, after 6 years in the RAF. At the time of his award of the AFC on 1 January 1944, the citation says that he had flown a total of 2,140 hours, of which 255 were in the last six months.

A search of the RAF Wyton ORB might reveal more, not only about him, but also about some of the others for whom you are seeking information, if crews came from that source.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Bob.