Thread: Air 40 series - reports on lost aircraft Bomber Command

Thanks

Default Air 40 series - reports on lost aircraft Bomber Command

About 30 years ago I sat down at the PRO and indexed a series of files which I am sure from memory included Air 40/258 and 262 amongst others which contained some very detailed reports by survivors of various different aircraft types (grouped by aircraft type) mostly lost on ops, others in ditchings, etc and spanning 1940-45.

I just went to check my index list and it plus the entire folder it lived in, is missing, presumably after we last moved home. I am gutted. Has anybody else done work on this series ?
    thanks Pete

Thanks

Pete

I have, what are you looking for?

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz
    currently I'm looking for any reports ref 77 Sqn Halifax JB783 "N" lost on the night of 30 Apr 1943 on a raid on Essen, I know that Sgt NA Fearneyhough and Sgt AJ Butlin survived, did you happen to make a note ref this aircraft and if there was a report in the series. I am gutted at the loss of my index, although I didn't use it regularly it look hours to compile. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Pete

I'll keep an eye out as I work my way through, I'm indexing it at the moment and up to page 450 so far.

Daz

Thanks

Pete

Ive now checked all 1090 pages of the three files AIR 40/258, 40/259, 40/260 and sorry to say the one your after is not there.

Some interesting reading in the reports though. Next time I go to Kew I will copy AIR 40/261 as I think that is the last in the series.

Regards

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 12th March 2017 at 19:53.