Thread: Amry Slang “Camel Corps”

Thanks

Default Amry Slang “Camel Corps”

Hi all,

I would like to ask native English speakers if anyone can help me to understand the phrase which I suppose is some kind of slang:

Colourful head of our “Camel Corps”

It was used by one RAF observer and I suppose it is some kind of opprobrious name for not very popular commanders or staff?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

Not knowing the full context of your observer's remark it is difficult to say exactly what he meant.
    The Imperial Camel Corps was a unit of the British army serving in Egypt, Sinia and Palestine during the First World War. Comprised mainly of troops from Britian, Australia, New Zealand and India, their primary mode of transport was "the ship of the desert", the camel. "Lawrence of Arabia" stuff!

The unit designation survived well into the Second World War with the Egyptian Camel Corps and the Somaliland Camel Corps, both of them by that time being (mostly) mechanized units.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 3rd July 2008 at 21:26. Reason: sp.

Thanks

Hi Ken,

thanks for your reply. To be honest it does not make any sence to me in the context:

Scott had been living a charmed life at his Squadron. He was in every scrap, in every spectacular operation. And he found his death precisely like we expected it from the Colourful head of our “Camel Corps”.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

Your reply has further intrigued me. Could you provide some more detail? Specifically, the Squadron on which he was serving and the names of other members of his crew. Was this possibly a reference to the "multi-nationality" of a particular crew?

Cheers, Ken