Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WAAF nurse crewmember on flights to Continent 1944

Thanks

Default WAAF nurse crewmember on flights to Continent 1944

A Danish WAAF nurse interviewed for a local newspaper after the war told that she volunteered to be a RAF nurse in 1943, and that she participated in (transport) flights to the Continent in 1944. On the outbound flight they were carrying ammunition to the fonts in Belgium and Holland on the return flight wounded. She describes the aircraft as twin-engined aircraft able to carry 20 stretchers (I guess Dakotas).

Would anyone have ideas as to sources that may give more information on her service than the above sparse details?

Thank you

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel, Hi,
    If nobody comes up with any information for you, then you might try:

PMRAFNS Association
    COS Health / DGMS (RAF)
    Nimrod Block
    CHQ Wy
    RAF High Wycombe
    Walters Ash
    High Wycombe HP14 4UE
    E-mail: info@pmrafns.org & association@pmrafns.org
    Web Page: http://www.pmrafns.org/association.htm

They might be able to steer you in the right direction? (But I got a "Forbidden" when I tried to access the web page!!)
    Good luck!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd March 2017 at 08:12. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

271 Sqn carried out Ambulance flights.

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/batt_271.htm

Im sure others did too
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Mikkel,
    There is a "mirror image" of your WAAF at http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a2065394.shtml. Might give a few more 'steers'?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thank you! A great help. Found this reference as well http://www.jakesimpkin.org/ArticlesR...htingales.aspx

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

hello

The No. 271 Squadron ambulance flight used Handley Page Sparrows, a modified Harrow to take stretchers. Some pix on the web, like this IWM official one : http://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/53/432/large_000000.JPG

From my local / regional researches, I know that some Canadian casualties from the September 1944 battles to take Boulogne-sur-Mer and Calais used these Sparrows, from B43 Arques Fort Rouge airfield (near St Omer)

Otherwise Dakotas could also take up stretchers. One was lost to Flak from Dunkirk garrison on 24 October 1944, claiming lives of 3 of the R.C.A.F. crewmembers and LACW Margaret CAMPBELL, an air ambulance orderly. They were buried by the crash site and reburied in Calais Canadian War Cemetery later.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you, Joss.

Mikkel

Thanks

The name Lydia Alford springs to mind in this context and I think it was she whose obituary was published in the Daily Telegraph. Another orderly was Edna Morris and there is a 'famous' PR photograph of these ladies and another which is quite well known.

The Sparrows were essentially a conversion of the Harrow and several were destroyed on the ground at Brussels during BODENPLATT on 1 Jan 45. Dakotas were also used, both types because of their ease of entry/exit for stretchers, amongst other things.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, I served with a guy whose wife had been a medical orderly (apparently not a nurse) and she received an MID for saving a soldier's life in an accident.

Another Daily Telegraph obituary was for a Princess Mary's RAF Nursing Service (PMRAFNS) sister who, having been widowed, joined the PMs and was one of the first females 'over the beaches' after D-Day. There is also out there somewhere, a book which is essentially a history of the QAs (Army nurses). Further afield is the biography of Margot Turner who as a QA was a POW of the Japanese and if you want another perspective, try the story of Vivian Bullwincle the Australian nurse who was the sole survivor of a Japanese massacre of nurses.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello All,

Just a little ‘nit picking’!

Two excerpts from http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...065394.shtml:-

While stationed at Collerton Cross I was sent to the Air-ambulance school at Hendon”. And “In April 1944 I was posted to RAF Broadwell in Oxfordshire. This was to the Air Ambulance Pool”.

As far as I can see (from RAFWEB), there is no mention of an Air-ambulance School as a Unit at Hendon, nor the Air Ambulance Pool at Broadwell. Presumably these two Units would have ORBs? They would give a good idea of the scale of WAAF Air Medical Orderlies?

HTH

Peter Davies

Thanks

Thank you all for the continued help. Peter, despite searching, I have not been able to find reference to a separate unit record searching for "air ambulance" in the National Archive catalogue.

From the link I included above: "RAF Air Ambulance Unit flew under 46 Group Transport Command based at three airfields; Down Ampney (near Cirencester) , Broadwell (near Burford), and Blakehill Farm (near Cricklade)." This may be a way forward.

From Sturvivant/Hamlin Flying Training and Support Units:

"Air Ambulance School
    Formed February 1944 in Technical Training Command and attached to No. 107 OTU at LEICESTER EAST (which became No. 1333 TSCU 12.3.45); Disbanded 27.4.46.

Air Ambulance Service
    Inaugurated experimentally 1.6.25 at Halton with 1 Andover; Discontinued 19.12.25. Aircraft: Andover (JT251)"

I'll try to get further via Rexford-Welch, Squadron Leader S. C. The Royal Air Force Medical Service.

Mikkel