Thread: Sergeant Harry Wright, 107 Squadron in Malta

Thanks

Default Sergeant Harry Wright, 107 Squadron in Malta

My father, Sergeant Harry Wright 995199 was a WOP/AG in a Blenheim IV in Malta from October 1941 until January 1942. I am trying to find out the serial number and code letter of the aircraft that he flew in during this time (squadron code was OM). His pilot was Pilot Officer Williamson and his navigator Sergeant Smith. Unfortunately, after Malta he was posted to the Far East, was captured in Java on April 14th 1942 and spent the remainder of the war as a Japanese POW. Most of his effects were lost in Java.

I have a copy of the Operations Records of 107 Squadron during this time, but it does not contain the information that I am looking for.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me the information that I ma looking for, or point me towards the place that such information is kept.

Thanks

Hello,

Can't help with the Blenheim serial/letter, but here is a bio of your father's pilot - AUS402688 Leonard Huon WILLIAMSON RAAF (later O21972 DFC, AE)): http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/will...ard-huon-15769 - and a photo https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/OG1529

If you have a week or two to spare, you can read the full story, here: http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...spx?B=30700415

Was your father posted/attached to No.211 Squadron? I notice his last unit is quoted as No.84 Sqn., in Stubbs' Unsung Heroes of the Royal Air Force. p.251.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th December 2016 at 11:19.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and for the information on Leonard Williamson. They wanted to continue as a team, but were separated in 211 Squadron.

Yes, my father was posted to 211 squadron, but the aircraft were pooled with 84 Squadron, due to the losses to the superior Japanese airforce. There is more information about my father on http://www.211squadron.org/h_wright.html.
    Last edited by davidwright; 28th December 2016 at 19:39.

Thanks

David,

Don Clark is an "Old Friend" of many years standing on this site. He hasn't posted lately. I hadn't got around to taking a look at Don's site, so your father's story is interesting.

Re the link I provided earlier, if you go to p.315 of 431, you will find an a detailed listing of Leonard Williamson's career, including times, dates, locations of his transfer flight from the UK, and various other movements.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks a lot, Col. The dates are extremely useful, as it narrows down my father's period of service from Portreath to Java. Unfortunately, my father was not lucky enough to be amongst those evacuated from Tjilitjap and was one of the unfortunates left behind when two out of the three boats that W/Cdr Jeudwine wanted to use to get to Australia were wrecked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidwright View Post
    Thanks a lot, Col. The dates are extremely useful, as it narrows down my father's period of service from Portreath to Java. Unfortunately, my father was not lucky enough to be amongst those evacuated from Tjilitjap and was one of the unfortunates left behind when two out of the three boats that W/Cdr Jeudwine wanted to use to get to Australia were wrecked.
    Hi David (& Col).

Iím Len Williamsonís son, Shane. I discovered this post by accident searching for 107 Squadron & Malta. :-)

Iíve done some scans for you of my fatherís log entries for his Bristol Blenheim Mark IV flights at Malta during December 1941 to January 1942.

Located here https://goo.gl/photos/anpyQ698CknEY6SW9

Iíve also included an article written in 1944 about my fatherís early war postings including Malta. The article mentions the story about the ďblood, guts & feathersĒ incident that your father was onboard for too :-)

Another interesting anecdote is the bombing sortie they did on 3rd January 1942. Dad always laughed when he told the story about the lucky cyclist that was near a ďstaff carĒ he tried to destroy. The ordinance didnít detonate on contact & bounced clean over the staff car & the cyclist. If he survived the war, that cyclist would have an interesting, but different version of the same event to tell.

Col, thanks for your references to my father as well.

Shane