Thread: 148 Squadron Halifax BB337 19 October 1943 SOE Sortie

Thanks

Default 148 Squadron Halifax BB337 19 October 1943 SOE Sortie

The ORB for 148 Sqd advises Sgt L P L PITT and his crew flew to Greece in BB337 and delivered 6 parachutists amongst other deliveries. How/where is it possible to locate the identity of the dropped men. The orb entry looks like it was Op CARCER but this does not appear to pan out with any additional information. Any help most welcome please.

Thanks

I don't know (sorry), but there's a great deal of knowledge about SOE and other cloak-and-dagger ops and personnel on the WW2Talk forum; might well be worth a punt there if you haven't already.

Cheers, Pat

Thanks

Colin,

From Oliver Clutton-Brock's "Trusty to the End" I think it may be Op COLOUR. For the night in question, only the loss of HR674 (2 passengers) is mentioned.

In one of the source documents for the loss of a No. 148 Sqn aircraft, the Air Ministry makes mention that because SOE is not part of the AM they will not get the passenger list.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Colin,

From Oliver Clutton-Brock's "Trusty to the End" I think it may be Op COLOUR. For the night in question, only the loss of HR674 (2 passengers) is mentioned.

In one of the source documents for the loss of a No. 148 Sqn aircraft, the Air Ministry makes mention that because SOE is not part of the AM they will not get the passenger list.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave The note regarding passenger listing makes sense and thank you for advising on that publication. These problems are well worth investigating so will not give in just yet !

Thanks

Colin
    There is a number of files at TNA concerning SOE in Greece. I would look there.

Thanks

Thanks to all, the 148 Orbs for this period are not as good as they could be but will keep digging.