Thread: Anson EG300 5 AOS 3 March 1943

Thanks

Default Anson EG300 5 AOS 3 March 1943

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I am trying to trace those on board Anson EG300, lost on a flight from Jurby on 3 March 1943 and assumed to have crashed at sea.

I have looked at Steve Poole's : 'Rough Landing or Fatal Flight' and I can't isolate the Runnymede entries for that day.

Any thoughts or answers greatly appreciated, please.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

I have the pilot of EG300 on 28th February 1943, not 3rd March, as F/Sgt. Arrand. F/Sgt. Arrand and his four crew members were picked up by No.54 Air Sea Rescue Marine Craft Unit, in Pinnace 1239, who had found them 12 miles North West of Peel, wet and cold, but unharmed.

Source: 5AOS ORB & 54 ASRMCU ORB

Hope this helps

Stevie

Thanks

Thanks

Colin,
    Have sent email with CWGC for 3 Mar 43 ordered by Unit
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

The old riddle of "An aircraft crashes directly on the border of two countries - Where did they bury the survivors?"

F1180 filed on 28th Feb confirms ditching, has comments from the ASRMCU on the event, confirms Arrand as pilot and states non fatal accident with 2 injured.

More or less confirms Stevies post above.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 17th March 2017 at 17:07.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest and responses, which have quickly resolved the problem – well it was actually a ‘non problem’ which I carelessly made into one.

I am using an M/S WORKS database, which a friend gave me many years ago and I extracted the subset of data I needed and this contained two entries for EG300; one on 28 Feb and the other on 3 Mar. The fact that these entries are just a few days apart didn’t dawn on me and when I searched the 1180s recently, I found the 28 Feb entry and no 3 Mar entry but still I did not notice that the aircraft serials were identical - DUHHHHH!!

Next I thought, I’ll dive into Steve’s book and see what he says and I found the entry for 3 Mar. Next to the CWGC and GRO wartime deaths but I drew a blank because, of course, there wasn’t any appropriate casualties on that date.

I know – thinks I – I’ll ask a question on raf/commands and bingo, the answer hits me in the face like a slab of wet fish! But how to explain why I missed the two records, when they actually occupy the same page on my manuscript. I know – it’s an age thing!!

Thank you again for your help.

Colin Cummings