Thread: 58 Squadron Whitley to Malta (December 1941)

Thanks

Default 58 Squadron Whitley to Malta (December 1941)

Does anyone have any thoughts on why a No 58 Squadron crew (or crew member) would have flown a Whitley to Malta in December 1941?

I have the following extract:

"Late in December 1941, he was an air gunner of Whitley aircraft which flew to Malta by way of Gibraltar. During January 1942 he proceeded by sea to Egypt and thence by Douglas aircraft of PAN American airways to Lagos by way of Wadi Serdna and Kano to Lagos in West Africa. From there he travelled during February by sea to the UK where he rejoined No. 58 Squadron"

There is nothing in his service record to show that he was "attached" during this period and nothing in the squadron or station ORBs.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

The ‘Wadi Serdna’ in the post is, most likely, Wadi Sayidna (or Wadi Seidna – this latter was the spelling in WW2) at 15.8175N 32.5161E, just N of Khartoum. There was a Met Flight fatality there in WW2 (DIXON, CHARLES RIGHTER, WO II RCAF, R/88217, DoD 10 Mar 43, aged 28, 1412 Met Flight (Repatriated to USA)).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th March 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Cas details
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

I can confirm the location (in 1941-42), as Wadi Seidna:

KHARTOUM.

PAA-Africa officially opened its operations in Khartoum on 20 October 1941. Located some 503 miles east of El Fashar, and already a key staging point on the British route to South Africa, this became a major airport along the trans-Africa air route. Staffed with up to 86 PAA employees, it provided secondary maintenance and operational support and served as an important overnight stop for PAA crews and passengers. The airfield was located on the west bank of the Nile river in an area called Wadi Seidna, some 20 miles north of the city of Khartoum.

See:
    Pan Africa - Across the Sahara in 1941 with Pan Am.
    Culbert,Tom & Andy Dawson.
    McLean:Paladwr Press,1999(2nd printing).
    p.63.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th March 2017 at 13:52.

Thanks

Pete,

I suspect the Whitley involved in the transfer flight to Malta, was one of the fifteen Whitleys transferred to BOAC for their proposed UK-Gibraltar service. Two of these Whitleys were ex-58 Squadron aircraft (ie Z6660/G-AGDW and Z9208/G-AGDU). There were actually three "Z" series Whitleys (the other was Z9216/G-AGDV). They where returned to the RAF without modifications, which entailed removal of turrets and all military equipment.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks, as always, for the feedback.

I will pass the information on to the family involved (as they may wish to do more detailed research on the matter). I will also point them to this thread, so if anyone has any further thoughts / detail, please feel free to add

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]