Thread: Books used for research or cross reference

Thanks

Default Books used for research or cross reference

Hello Forum Members,

I havent posted in a long time so here is a welcome message to say hello again and that I hope to be posting research material and picking your collective brains a little too.

Of course there are a lot of websites out there that we all use to check details quickly and that there is the National Archives etc.

But what books old or new, out of print or still in print do you find invaluable to your research.

I currently research wreck sites in the uk and the crew members involved.

I have books relating to the First World War and the Second World War and also type specific books IE Spitfire the History. I also have many books on the different Scottish Airfields.

I use both Fighter command losses and a couple of Bomber command losses books. I have post war books and books on serials. I also have a few of the crash log books too.

So which books do you find yourself keeping and a must have for your research.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to become more efficient in my reasearch and giving it better structure. I want to become better at finding information from all the various sources and learn how to use this information better.

I have a few projects on the go that I now need to learn how to structure my research properly and know where to go to follow up the information I have got already.

Any help and guidelines greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards Scott McIntosh
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Hello Scott and welcome back. I am sure you will have some interesting queries for the forumites. I was interested in your work and tried to follow the link in your signature but got a '403 Forbidden' message.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Bruce,

Yeah sorry about that our website has been down for sometime now. There is some talk about it making a return in the future. This was taken down originally because of a hacker corrupting the data.

We are working with a facebook group at the moment and creating folders of photos and information as we go. Site visits, crew photos, archive photos and family photos etc along with relevant information about the incident.

If you are a facebook member just search Air Crash Investigation and Archaeology and you will find us.

I will adjust my signature so it no longer has the link.

Any tips or books to add to the discussion?

Scott
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

I have found personal recollection in books very useful but there are hundreds and as my research is focused on bombing and gunnery ranges you have to read a lot to find that useful snippet. The biggest problem with this type of source is that sometimes the recollections are vague or are dropped in without a date context. So as a source they are good for leads on locations only. The TNA records are missing so much, especially plans and drawings, which are often referred to in contemporary documents as attached. My groans of frustration can often be heard in the silence of the reading room.

The biggest problem with finding the ultimate source is that it effectively stops your research as you will have all the answers :)

Thanks

Rawlings' "Fighter Squadrons of the RAF", Morgan & Shacklady's "Spitfire the History", Lake's "Flying Units of the RAF", Shores & Williams "Aces High" and "Those Other Eagles", and Franks' "Fighter Command Loses" form a solid basis of reference material, amongst many other books in my collection. If you push this as far as the 'net, I should add the "London Gazette" and "Flight" magazine archives online.

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

As well as everything already mentioned, I find the A-B serial registers very useful, and also Colin Cumming's series of books dealing with post-war losses. I have a large selection of biographies and autobiographies, dealing with both WW1 and WW2, which offer a lot of information not normally found in the official histories. General military histories are also useful, as they help us put the events we're researching into context - for example, "A Hard Local War" by Tom Sheehan has helped me put 100 Squadron's activities in Ireland in 1921-22 into a historical picture.

Moyes "Bomber Squadrons of the RAF" is another useful reference work, and of course Middlebrook et als "Bomber Command War Diaries" is a well-thumbed tome on the shelves of many of the contributors here, I'm sure :)

HTH,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945