Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gee use in Light/Medium bombers

Thanks

Default Gee use in Light/Medium bombers

Was Gee ever fitted to Allied light and medium bombers (Boston III/IIIa, A-20G, Mitchell II/III, B-25D/J, Marauder III, B-26B/G, A-26B) during WWII and if so was it a standard fit or just formation leaders a/c.

Were there Gee chains in the Mediterranean or just in the UK during WWII.

I can find lots of technical data for Gee but not much on its operational use, other than with Bomber Command.

Best Regards
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Andy

G-H was used by No.2 Group from middle 1944 onwards. I have some copies of various documents via the NA. Happy to copy, but off on holiday for a week.

Regards
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I'd appreciate a look at any copies you have. There is no rush, enjoy your hols.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Default GEE in Mosquito

Dear Andy,

I do not know if you classify a Mosquito as a light-bomber, but the USAAF 25th BG Rcn at Watton, UK used GEE as a navigational aid in all their aircraft, including Mosquito, B-25, B-26 and A-26.

Norman Malayney

Thanks

Andy, From the diary of a 226 navigator, which is in my possession, his first exposure to GEE was in mid-Jan 44. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thank you Norman and Terry for the additional info.

Norman: Did 802BG(Prov) carry GEE before they were re-designated 25BG(R)

Terry: In the diary you have is your man an experienced nav at the time of his introduction to GEE (ie just arrived at 226 Sqn from training or well into his tour).

Thanks again gents.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fletcher View Post
    Was Gee ever fitted to Allied light and medium bombers (Boston III/IIIa, A-20G, Mitchell II/III, B-25D/J, Marauder III, B-26B/G, A-26B) during WWII and if so was it a standard fit or just formation leaders a/c.
    Since my original query I've found the following in the excellent 2TAF Vol I, by Shores & Thomas.

05Nov43 (pg45): Accordingly 24 Bostons and 48 Mitchells of 2 Group and US 9th Air Force B-26 Marauders, set off for Mimoyecques, but bad weather caused forced the entire formation to turn back apart from 24 Mitchells equipped with Gee...

Feb44 (pg69): The larger Mitchells offered more scope than Bostons for the fitting of additional equipment, and during February 98 Sqn became the first 2 Group unit to use "Gee" navigation in action.

As you can see the second statement contradicts the first, but the second would tie in nicely with what Terry says about the 226 Sqn nav's first exposure to Gee.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Default GEE prior to 26 april 1944

Dear Andy,

I went back through the 802nd RG (P)(S) microfilms and found the Mosquito navigators received training at Watton in GEE navigation prior to 26 April 1944. That is the earliest date mentioned in the microfilms. They flew their first operational combat Mosquito mission, a Bluestocking weather reconnassiance flight on 23 May 1944.

"On 23 May, the first Bluestocking sortie was attempted by Lts. Oliver Emmel/Iver Fitschen (NS510) taking off at 0421 for France. At mid-channel, heavy icing coated the cockpit windows; then both VHF and GEE equipment failures forced the crew to abort the mission. They landed 20 minutes late because of enemy intruder activity at Watton. The next day, Watton dispatched the same mission at 0250 with Lt. James Luma/Capt John Walch (NS510) again for central France. Flying at 25,000 feet they completed the first successful Bluestocking WR mission.

"Numerous problems were encountered. They recommended a more versatile navigator's table with metal clips to firmly hold the navigation utensils in an accessbile place and a red light to assist with reading charts. A fading red light on the GEE scope made distinguishing LOP and coastal lines impossible."

I hope the above information is of assistance.

Norman Malayney
    Last edited by norman malayney; 16th August 2008 at 18:00.

Thanks

Andy, My man began flying operationally around Aug 43 and had his first exposure to GEE in mid Jan 44. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Andy:

Gee was also fitted to the Mosquito Intruders of 418 Squadron, at least according to Dave McIntosh's book.

Norman, was the WR sortie pilot the "Lou" Luma who was on 418 Squadron?