Thread: RAF Photographic Reconnaissance Units

Thanks

Default RAF Photographic Reconnaissance Units

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am researching an area of RAF history which I cannot find much information on.

I have started researching RAF PR Units and in particular those units which used the Hawker Hurricane as their aircraft. I was wondering if anyone has or knows where I would be able to get information from regarding those units who used the Hurricane, I had started a list of Hurricane Serial Numbers of these who were converted for PR use but any further numbers or information on these would be gratefully received and appreciated.

I am also trying to cross reference all of these Hurricanes with their respective builder locations and I am trying to find out if any Hurricane's used by for PR units were built at the Gloster Aircraft Company.

Any help or assistance on any of the areas above would be gratefully received and appreciated.

With kindest regards,

Aaron

Thanks

I can't help with units but was interested to know that Hurricanes were used for PR work. Do you know if any were UK based or was it only in the Med and Asia?

Thanks

I don't think they were used in the UK, but I suspect you are thinking of 2 PRU which used Hurricanes; it was formed at Heliopolis in Egypt during May 1941 (http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFARP2.html). This reference also suggests they were used in the Far East, but no unit number is quoted.

Your best bet is probably to access the 2 PRU ORB in the National Archives under AIR 29/431. The unit was disbanded during Jan 1943.

Brian

Thanks

I recently picked up a book entitled "Eyes of the RAF; A history of Photo Reconnaissance" by Roy Conyers Nesbit which shows that 69 Squadron, No. 2 PRU / 680 Squadron, 128 Squadron, No 3 PRU / 681 Squadron all utilised the Hurricane, but it doesn't list the actual serial numbers involved.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

"Eyes of the Phoenix" by Geoff Thomas is a history of PR in South-East Asia in WW2. I believe the unit was 3 PRU. For finding which aircraft were operated by these units, and which of those was Gloster-built, Air Britain produces a number of reference works listing the individual history of every RAF aircraft, and gaining access to these will speed your work. Look on the Air Britain site to find which are still available.