Thread: Address of HQ No 16 Group during WW2

Thanks

Default Address of HQ No 16 Group during WW2

I'd be grateful if someone could provide the address of HQ No 16 Group during WW2. I keep coming up with two locations; AP1134: The Second World War; 1939-1945: Meteorology places it at Chatham, as does the Met Office War Postings List (promulgated 25.08.1939), but I have an article written by an HQ 16 Group met observer which gives the address as Gillingham.

An archived RAF Commands thread from 2005 (http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/07356.php) actually quotes both places in separate posts. Despite this I appreciate most publications quote Chatham.

As the two towns practically merge I suspect it lay very close to the boundary between them, hence my request specifying the unit's address.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

The Sturtivant bible RAF FT&SU (clearly you've still not bought it?) give location as Black Lion Fields Gillingham.

Steve

Thanks

Many thanks, Steve, that is interesting. Black Lion Fields is now the site of the Black Lion Field Sports Centre which, today, seems to be more in Gillingham as opposed to Chatham. I guess boundaries have changed since the war but at least I think I've a reasonable explanation for the apparent inconsistencies.

Brian

Thanks

Brian (et al)
    There's a Dec 1940 a/p on GE for Chatham/Gillingham. Interesting looking buildings in the triangle bounded by Prince Arthur Road, Mill Road. and Kyber Road. Even a couple of possible H/F masts? Kent County Council will know?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 28th March 2017 at 08:08.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!