Thread: Group Practice Camps

Thanks

Default Group Practice Camps

I have come across the term "Group Practice Camp" a number of times in contemporary documents (eg 263 Sqn ORB). In the 263 Sqn ORB it refers to Group Practice Camp at Warmwell in September 1942. To my knowledge there were no practice camps for fighter or fighter bomber units at that time, only Coastal Command had formal Group Practice Camps in 1942 but at the end of the following year they did start to reappear.

At Warmwell in September 1942 there was 1487 TT Flight and many of the TT Flights ended up being absorbed into the reforming APC's.Could it be this flight that was referred to as the Group Practice Camp? If so did it operate on the same lines as the later APC's? Did it control the Chesil Bank ranges?

Martlesham Heath was another location referred to as a practice camp and this also had a numbered TT Flight.

Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Robert Bowater s excellent "263 and 137 Squadrons the Whirlwind Years" also uses the Group Practice Camp phrase , no doubt from the same source. It does go on to say that the reason for this was to train up the pilots in the "Whirlibomber" role, permission having been granted from HQ Fighter Command on 12th August to fit two 250 lb bombs to Whirlwinds. After completing the course 263 officially transferred to Warmwell.
    regards
    Peter

Thanks

The term "practice camp" is used frequently pre-war even though the official names were "Armament Training Camp" and then "Armament Training Station". I wonder if it just a generic term?

Peter