Thread: Mannock VC, DSO & Two Bars, MC & Bar petition

Thanks

Default Mannock VC, DSO & Two Bars, MC & Bar petition

I saw this on TOCH board and believe it should be here as well.

There is a petition before the UK Government to identify the remains of Mannock who is believed to be in an un-named grave.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/191594

Details on the petition page are:
    " Petition
    Identification of Britains highest decorated fighter Ace Mick Mannock V.C DSO MC

This petition requests investigation, exhumation and identification to prove/disprove the remains of "A British Airman Of The First World War" buried in Laventie Cemetery are in fact those of fighter Ace Edward Mick Mannock. Furthermore, a named reinterment befitting of this hero be conducted."

A worthy cause.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

The question is, if non British subjects or non Britain residents can sign the petition. Otherwise, as far as I know, British authorities considered war graves closed once and forever, following their move on war cemeteries. I am not sure if there is any regulation, or just a custom. I expect it to be a hard nut, especially as it may cause a precedence.

Thanks

The link takes you to a page where you are asked a couple of questions, including if you are resident in the UK: I do not know what happens if the answer is 'no'. Try it and see!

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

I am Brazilian born, but "British and RAF born" by passion for History (both Aeronautical, RFC and RAF related, as well as Military)",

Unfortunately, the Parliament forgot that History and Aeronautical History do not have a "flag" or a Nation. MANNOCK therefore belongs to History and is still admired and read (his biographies, etc.) all around the world. Considering that I am half British by soul and admiration for the RAF History, I signed that document declaring I am a British Citizen, informing my own e-mail. IF there is such a possibility of giving him a decente funeral and a rest place, I believe this is Worth the case.

Considering the case, the Historical aspects involved, I felt right to sign as a British Born citizen. I visited twice the Country and each time was so impressed by its vast Historical backgrounds and places, and museums, etc....so, yes, I am half British by soul and admiration for the Island's History. It is indeed a pitty that the Parliament or whoever idealized the signing Project, that no foreigners can sign that.

Please, all readers and members of this Fórum, do remember that they (the Officials) do need 10,000 signatures and so far, there are only 146....so, perhaps it is time to gets things moving a bit faster...I know that there are several former RAF airmen and servicemen on this Fórum, so please do sign the document so, perhaps he can be identified and rest in a decent grave.

Mannock is remembered on Canterbury Cathedral, which I visited on 2014....

I do remain, yours, must sincerely.

BRUCE, congratulations for putting this most interesting petition on a Thread. Wish the investigation team will succeed in identifying him and giving him a decent rest place.

Thanks

Ah!
    Only British citizens or UK residents have the right to sign.
    Now, the question remains if the British law allows to exhume a wargrave for the purpose of identification. Any experts out here?

Thanks

Not an expert but can say that when enquiries were made with the CWGC to exhume an unknown airman to compare DNA with the relatives of five members of a missing crew, the answer was "Absolutely not"

Dave