Marriage quarter 3, Marriage year 1942
    MarriageFinder™ HENRY J C J SMITH married Doris W Mead
    Spouse's last name Mead
    District Lambeth, County, London, Country England
    Volume 1D Page 255

There may be progeny.

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Mojmir

wow. !

I realty really appreciate your efforts in finding that man! I did not consider the first letter to be H !

How long did it take you?

Peter I appreciate the other details

All in all a good week for me with Slee and now Smith

Oh I have also ID the real name of first woman to use a parachute I doubt she was really "Mrs Irene McFarland" and also fully Id a US man who bailed out over Canada pre war

Only 1 American to go (of known incidents) in Canada I know his full name except middle name and where and when born but still not all details !

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Seeing your Smith inquiry a few minutes ago on the Historic Aviation forum, I thought of posting a suggestion that you contact the Caterpillar Club archivist, since you mentioned Smith's parachute report. Glad that you now know Smith's full name. However, for others might the CC archive come through for you?

This contact info for Airborne Systems Europe -- keepers of the CC documentation -- is about four years old, but perhaps it is still current:

Airborne Systems Europe
    Llangeinor
    Bridgend CF32 8PL
    United Kingdom.

Phone, fax, and website info:

Tel: +44(0) 1656 72 7000
    Fax: +44(0) 1656 72 1100
    www.airborne-sys.com .

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Matt

Thanks for the info but they only respond to queries from next of kin

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

That's a real shame. Maybe Airborne Systems Europe is run by the same narrow-minded sorts who severely limit access to RAF personnel info, and RAF crash and casualty details.

I really did figure that you'd long ago considered the Caterpillar Club as a source.

Now, then, if you can luck into finding a relative of one of your guys...It worked for me, and some great documents were offered up to the daughter of a Caterpillar Club member, which were then shared with me.

On the other hand, if you are searching for a basic name, and the airman wasn't even a casualty, then it's hard to find family, or even home town, isn't it??

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Their not narrowminded. The archivist explained the following to me some years back.

You become a member of the caterpillar Club having saved your life using one of our parachutes, the person who bails out has to apply for the Caterpillar Club personally, I have attached some information for you, unfortunately we are unable to provide any details regarding our Caterpillar Members due to the Caterpillar Club covenant
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, I did say "maybe" -- referring to others I consider incredibly narrow-minded... In reconsidering, I'll delete "maybe". The Airborne Systems Europe people are definitely narrow-minded.

I don't buy it -- the covenant silliness. Invoking the covenant to hold back info during the war? That I can understand. Now? No. Rules are meant to be reevaluated and changed, for the public good. That's why millions of documents, once closed, are now open at Kew and elsewhere. Even the MoD has evaluated and seen the light, at least a sliver of light, in deciding to release certain casualty info to the public (over the next century, maybe, as they slowly prep selections from casualty files for public dissemination). I can begrudgingly accept that some materials can continue to be deemed private, but, um, for these Keepers of the Holy Caterpillar Club Archives to hide behind that covenant claim is narrow-minded and convenient.

I mean, they can't even release the NAME of a person who happened to use a parachute to save his/her life many decades ago? Or an INITIAL?

"What is the first initial of ?. J. C. J. Smith, who used an Irvin parachute in March 1940?" "We can't tell you, because we are bound by The Covenant."

Oh, the sanctity of such ultra-private info from over 77 years ago! A first initial! The danger, the shame, in releasing that, or a full name, to Paul or anyone else! It might cause undue suffering for the family of the jumper, after all! Give me a break...

Of course the Caterpillar Club archives are private, not public. There's the real rub -- a private company's data. Yet if I were kingpin in that company, I'd make my people open up those records to the public. (No, I'd try, but I'd be defeated by the corporate lawyers.)

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    „H“ was discovered by accident. Yesterday I found a text where the handwritten capital letters „H“ were written in the same manner as the AC2 Smith‘s one. The AIR 78 gave the full name during 10 minutes…

Do you know that article? : https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/5580439/

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Mojmir

Thanks,, perhaps they had the same teacher. When you look at text again you can see a H jusr

Yes seen that article... there is some mixing up of the what "Irene McFarland" says Her husband "Edgar" was her dad and J D McFarland was probably not her husband!

A long short I know but trying to identify a US Travel Air owner and pilot from the 1920's and 1930's by the name of J 'Jeff' D McFarland

He seems to have preferred to be known as J D McFarland and he lived in Canton Ohio in the mid 1930 's and he definitely owned a Travel Air (with OXX-5 engine). Apparently he also lived a short while in Dayton and Warren Ohio

He was born in 1902 in Kentucky and was a "aero show man" in mid 1920's doing stunts and parachute drops at air shows in Ohio Indiana and Pennsylvania

Allegedly he earned a commercial pilots licence in 1931

But he just drops of the radar after that....

The reason I ask is that he was the "husband " of "Mrs Irene McFarland" who was the first woman to earn Caterpillar Club membership on June 28, 1925 when she had to use Irvin parachute when her own Thompson parachute failed to engage when she jumped from a Standard Biplane at Grisard Field, Cincinnati. She had worn a Government issue Irvin at instance on Major Hoffman who ran the field

I say husband "he was married at the time it is just that I am not convinced to her!" -I have him getting married to someone else in 1923

It appears her full name was in fact in 1925 "Miss Florence Irene Cochran" she was 18 at the tim

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...104819&df=all&

She was born in 1907 and died in 1977

By the way her father was actually Ivory 'Edgar' Cochran

Re J D McFarland He may have been "Jeffery" but census says "Jeff"

I get the impression both wanted to "vanish" from history in respect to this incident as even by 1930 "Mrs McFarland" was spinning a different story as to her relationship with her husband J D McFarland

Paul