Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt S M Strasburg 1 GRS and 5 GTS Polish

Thanks

Default F/Lt S M Strasburg 1 GRS and 5 GTS Polish

Dear All.
    I'm trying to research a pilot who served with 1 GTS and 5 GTS during 1942-1944.

The chap in question, S M Strasburg, is down in the log book as being a F/Lt, and there are two membership cards in the log for clubs in Paris (The British Officers Club, Paris, and Cercle Interallie de L'Aviation).

It was suggested that he may have been a Frenchman serving with the RAF, but so far I'm struggling to find anything on him.

One membership card has the number RAF 146143 in the corner, but I've been unable to pick anything out in the London Gazette.

I was wondering if any members here might have more information on the man or the units.

Any help at all would be great as I'm struggling with this one!!

Many thanks.

Johnnie
    Last edited by johnnie214; 10th April 2017 at 12:18.

Thanks

Johnnie,
    There's a Sali M Strasburg Married in London in Q1 of 1947 (Registered Hackney Vol 5c Page 1493).
    The same Name Marries in London in Q2 of 1976 (Registered St Marylebone Vol 14 Page 1529).
    The Forename 'Sali' has Jewish connotations - you might try the Jewish History societies?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many thanks for that. I've just found a note in the LG date 1947 for a Sali Markus Strasburg:

List of Aliens to whom Certificates of Naturalization have been granted by the Secretary of State, and whose Oaths of Allegiance have been registered in the Home Office during the month of...
    The date shown is each case is the date on which the Oath of Allegiance was taken:

Strasburg, Sali Markus; Poland; Fur-Buyer; 38 Cambridge Counrt, Amhurst Park, London, N16, 3 December 1946

So it looks like he was Polish and not French. I wonder if the French link was only based on the membership card for the clubs in Paris. I suppose he could have been serving in France after February 1944 as the log book I have end (is full) in feb 1944.

Thanks

The story is here:
    HO 405/51912
    STRASBURG, S M Year of Birth 1915
    This record is closed

Closed For 100 years
    Opening date: 01 January 2047

Closure criterion: Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants

So without an FOI request being granted you won't get the file but there is enough in the title to give you a starting point.

HTH,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Many thanks for the additional information.

I have now found a few passenger lists for him travelling to and from New York between 1947 and 1949. Interestingly, in 1949 he arrives in Southampton from New York, but gives his address as:

Hotel Metropole
    Moscow
    USSR

I guess at the moment the basic information is that he started pilot training in 1942, he may have previously been a pilot as the training seems shorter that usual. He is then posted to I GIS/GTS at Thame before moving to 5 GTS at Shobdon.

As I mentioned, he is down as a F/Lt but I have been unable to find him in the LG. Are Polish aircrew not mentioned in the LG?

Frustrating abut the files being closed for 100 years!!

Thanks

Aha!
    HO 334/167/20855

Naturalisation Certificate: Sali Markus Strasburg. From Poland. Resident in London. Certificate AZ20855 issued 28 November 1946.

And it is an open document.
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Many thanks for the additional information.

Going back to the RAF service. Would Strasburg have had an RAF service file? I guess the main avenues of research open to me at the moment are trying to view the ORBs for the glider units he was with, and/or obtaining a copy of his neutralisation file (I could put in a FOI request).

Otherwise I could order a copy of the death certificate and pay for a copy of the RAF service file, but would he have one? I still find it odd that there are no mentions of his RAF commission in the LG.

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie,
    Looking for patterns in the LG. The 5 numbers lower than his are all very senior NCO Pilots Commissioned between 11 Jan 43 and 21 Apr 43. His number is blank – looks like it’s been removed from the LG (connected with the 100 year embargo? Was he maybe a 'spook'??). The 5 numbers above him are 4 x very senior NCO Pilots (same like above – Commissioned between 9 Mar 43 and 28 Mar 43) – and 1 x Dentist (work that one out!!!) straight from Civvy Street!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I've put in a FOI request to the PRO so we'll see where that goes. Strasburg died several years ago now, and he does not appear to have had any children so they might release it, or at least pass some information on.

As for the log book I am researching. It covers the following:

15 EFTS - 11/4/42 - 18/6/42
    RAF College Cranwell, SFTS - 24/6/42 - 28/10/42
    1 GIS Thame - 19/11/42 - 17/12/42
    5 GTS - 18/12/42 - 6/12/43
    3 (P) AFU - 7/12/43 - 17/2/44
    5 GTS - 18/2/44

The last entry in the log is dated April 1944 and the log is full, so I assume he kept on flying and started another log. I have no idea if he stayed as an instructor/at 5 GTS, or if he went operational.

He certainly seems to have spent at least some time in France due to the membership cards for the clubs in Paris (the British Officers Club and the Cercle Interallie de L'Aviation).

The front page of the log also shows his progression from LAC to F/O via Sgt and P/O suggesting he was at least a F/O by April 1944 when he started a new log book.

I do wonder if he may have had some previous flying experience as his pilot training seems very quick, but then again I'm not 100% certain how long pilot training would usually have been.

Johnnie

Thanks

Are you sure he was Polish?

He is not listed in Krzystek's List, although that does list some men who are subject to the 100 year rule. It also lists men who did not serve in Polish Squadrons or Polish Training Units and is pretty comprehensive although it is not impossible that he could have been missed out.

The nearest name is F/Lt Andrzej Strasburger - but he was killed in 1942 so that can't be your man but there is a possibility that he served under a false name to protect family at home. This was approved by the Polish Air Force and the RAF as it was meant to deceive no one but the Germans and the Russians.

He is also not listed on the Kresy-Siberia Wall of Names which includes those killed and those who survived the War'

Finally, he is not listed on Biblioteka WSOSP which is an Official Polish Air Force memorial site
    Last edited by archivist; 10th April 2017 at 23:23. Reason: Additional Information