Thread: OFF TOPIC - British MP mentioned in the RAF airman diary

Thanks

Default OFF TOPIC - British MP mentioned in the RAF airman diary

Hi all,

I am sorry for this off topic theme but I do not know any other better place where I can obtain proper and adequate help.

While doing a research of a diary belonging to former Czechoslovak soldier who became a RAF airman in Autumn 1940, I came across names of several several honorable visitors who have attended the concert of Czechoslovak Army held in Chester on 28.7.1940.
    I was able to identify all but one (including the woman Mayor). The last I need to identify is mentioned in Czech Army press "Nase noviny" as "Member of parliament Sir Walter Elliot".

The only person I was able to find thanks to Mr. Google is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter...sh_politician)

Anyone can recommend me any primary source where I can confirm him? I am not sure now, possibly there might be another MP of the same surname as it seems to me quite common?
    Any advice much appreciated

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel

Looks to be the same one as you linked to.

The Chester Chronicle of August 3rd 1940 reported the following:

CZECHO-SOLVAKIAN ARMY CONCERT
    The first concert in this country by members of the Czecho-Slovak Army was given in a northern town on Sunday and attracted an audience of over 2,000 people.
    Among those present at the concert were the Mayor and Mayoress of the town in which the concert was held, the M.P. for the constituency, the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Command, Capt. [sic - other reports list him as 'Major'] Walter Elliot, M.P., Mr. Oliver Stanley, M.P., the Czech Minister of War (General Viest), the Czech Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (Dr. Rudolf Ripka), General Miroslav (Commanding the First Czech Army), and General Nizborsky (Divisional Commander).

The article gives a run-down of the music played, and reports that the Czech Army published a special issue of Nase Noviny to commemorate the concert.

The Evening Despatch of September 30th 1940 reports him as 'Major Walter Elliot, M.P., Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General, Western Command,' and the Birmingham Daily Gazette of August 17th 1940 records him as 'Major Walter Elliot, former Minister for Health.'

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,
    thank you very much for comprehensive answer.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz