Thread: 42945 P/O Francis Joseph Watson, DFC citation 1940.

Thanks

Default 42945 P/O Francis Joseph Watson, DFC citation 1940.

Hello all,

Could someone please look up the DFC citation for this officer ? It was gazetted on 13 September 1940. I believe he was from 83 Squadron, but would like to know if the citation mentions he was an Air Gunner or Squadron Gunnery Officer.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin

Just came across a newspaper article referring to P/O Watson in the Penrith Observer, October 22nd 1940:

Awarded the D.F.C. only a few weeks ago, Pilot Officer F. Joseph Watson, a former pupil of Alston Samuel King’s School, is now officially reported missing. Pilot Officer Watson, who is 28 years of age, was a pupil at the school from 1924 to 1928, when he entered the R.A.F. as an aircraft apprentice, subsequently becoming a sergeant-observer. He received his commission in January. Attached to a bomber squadron, Pilot Officer Watson has taken part in several raids over Germany, including some on Berlin. Returning from one such flight, he was a member of the crew of a bomber which was forced down in the North Sea. They were rescued from their rubber dinghy after being adrift for several hours.

This aircraft may possibly have been Hampden I X2897 of 83 Sqn, ditched August 28/29 1940, returning from Berlin?

Watson was killed in Hampden I L4049, also 83 Sqn, shot down by flak on September 24th 1940.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Martin,

Francis Joseph Watson crashed in Hampden L4049 on a field in the small village Bethen near Cloppenburg. I found the crash site for about some years.

regards

Volker Urbansky

Thanks

Volker,

thanks for the extra detail.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.