Thread: Luftwaffe over the Irish sea on 23.10.1941?

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe over the Irish sea on 23.10.1941?

Hi all,

in my research of RAF crew I am trying to exclude a possibility of meeting with an enemy aircraft over the Irish sea on 23 October 1941 during the daytime (afternoon).

I have tried several Luftwaffe forums already and so far I got info about "At least three aircraft of 2./KFGr506 took off from Brest before 16:00, and landed by 20:00, and were operating over St. George's Channel" but it seems to me does not fit to my case.

My aircraft took of from Norfolk at 11.40 BST (12.40 GST) and was suppose to land back until 17.00 BST (18.00 GST).
    The only thing I know is that it went missing over the Irish Sea or Cardigan Bay (no time or place known) so my rough estimation is it should be flying over the Irish Sea between 14.00-15.00 BST (15.00-16.00 GST).

Any chance to find out any other Luftwaffe planes operation in the area?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,
    Can you tell us what squadron your aircraft was from?

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

So sorry Pavel, I never replied to your email a few days or weeks back, I just remembered. I was going to suggest you posted on here.

YOu emailed me about:
    Wellington T2624 loss.
    It took of at 11.40 on 23.10.1941 for a Cross Country flight on planned track East Wretham – Llangollen – Maughold Head (Isle of Man) – 54N16 04W00 – 52N30 05W45 – Aberystwyth – Banbury – East Wretham. It is believed it crashed during the flight over the Cardigan Bay between 52N30 05W45 and Aberystwyth.

And your questions were:
    My particular questions would be:
    1. Were there any AA posts around Arklow?
    2. Were there any sighting of aircraft in the area in the afternoon on 23.10. or possibly an observer post on the coast might see the aircraft crashing into the sea?

I can't be certain on either question, I don't beleive we had enough AA equipment to share around the coast at places like this. By Nov 1943 there were still only a limited number of batterys.

I'd have to refer you to the Irish Military Archives in Dublin for any such sighting records, the the Look Out Posts in that coastal area might have some clues. Some of the ogs boks are online here:
    http://www.militaryarchives.ie/en/co...-post-logbooks

The record books for the post nearest Arklow don't appear to be online and might not have survived at all. The posts to the north and south however are there, Wickow Head and Cahore Head. Butttt....... that book only goes to May 1941 for Cahore Point and to July 1940 for Wicklow Head. One would need to view them onsite in Dublin in the archives.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis, thank you for your infromative reply. Do not worry - I am glad my post remembered you my emails:)
    Wellington T2624 was allotted to 311 Sq OTF at the time of loss.

It seems to me I need to make a try with Look Out Posts!
    Do you know if there are also available private researches providing paid service (like in TNA)?
    I am afraid I will be not able to visit Dublin to visit the archive in person:)

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel, I have just seen your question. Rather than trying to search the Look Out Post log books, a much faster way is to consult the Daily Report Summary or DRS for the particular day. It includes incidents reported by the LOPs , Military Units and Gardai (Police) from all over the country.
    There are a number of reports of movements of aircraft for that time period and that area, but appear to be British aircraft and the impression is that some of them were searching the area possibly for an intruder.
    There is no definite identification of a German aircraft but if someone had access to the W/T Intercepts it might throw up some further information.
    Searching the LOP log books is a very tiring affair and can prove difficult to read as they are hand written.
    Sorry not much help Pavel.
    Regards
    Tony K

Thanks

Thank you Tony a lot for bringing my attention to another new source.
    But anyway I have the same problem as with the previous one - is there any good "soul" who can make the research for me in person or are there any private researchers who will do it as a paid service for public who is not able to visit the archive in person (my case) ?

Pavel