Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help researching Great Uncles records

Thanks

Default Help researching Great Uncles records

Hi. I am new to researching my families history. As a result of searching the CWWGC and Force War Records I have established that one of my great uncles was killed in 1944. He is recorded as a Pilot Officer with the 1652 CU RAF. I would like to get as much information about this great man as I can. I know the date his death was recorded and where he is buried. I just want to get as much information about his history in the RAF as possible. Any advice on where to search? Many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks

The best start point is to obtain his service record via the following link

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

It is highly recommended that you follow the next of kin route, otherwise you will only get a sub set of the information that is available.

Once you have a copy, we will be able to help you decipher his postings, trades and ranks etc and you will have a skeleton from which you can further your research.

In the mean time if you provide his full name, we may be able to dig out snipppets of information for you

Good luck with your research

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

If you post the name / number / date - it can be starting point for the people here to give you advice or share their findings .

Obviously you should also refer to the records in NA. http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7160902

Thanks

Thank you very much for your quick responses and advice. The information I have so far is:
    Pilot Officer 50340 Harold Henry Victor ROOTS 1652 CU RAF, born 13.11.1919 killed on 06.06.1944. and buried in Bearsted Church in Kent.

Thanks

Hi,

Oxford Mk.I L4616, Flying Officer Harold Henry Victor Roots, pilot (Service Number 50340) - killed.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=16156

Mojmir

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks for your help.

Thanks

Two entries in the London Gazette

50340 5687712 Harold Henry Victor ROOTS London Gazette supplement : 35930 , Dated 1943-03-05 , Download #35930 (The Commissioning issue)
    50340 H H V ROOTS London Gazette supplement : 36084 , Dated 1943-07-06 , Download #36084

Could be more...

Thanks

I am sincerely grateful for the help I have been given, it opens up so much more detail to my Great Uncles life. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the crash site of his Airspeed Oxford. I appreciate its location may not be recorded, but can anyone provide suggestions where I should be looking to try and research/ find the site?
    Thank you again for your valued help.

Thanks

I have the crash location as 'near the Wagon & Horses Inn, Potters Hill, Lulsgate OS ref182/515661.

Somerset at War, Mac Hawkins, Dovecote Press, 1988

regards

Dave
    W

Thanks

Thank you so much!

I am new to this research business and have, due to ignorance of how to conduct research, only been using what I suppose is 'common' research tools such as Ancestry and Forces War Records etc. The Forum members help I have had so far has been exceptional and I am very grateful. I am amazed what you have been able to give me.

I am always to open to advice of where to extend my research.

Thank you again.