Thread: A long shot - Philip J. R. Moyes - Bomber Squadrons of the RAF, MacDonald, 1964

Thanks

Default A long shot - Philip J. R. Moyes - Bomber Squadrons of the RAF, MacDonald, 1964

Hi all,

I would like to ask for a general advice.
    I have found a photo in Philip J. R. Moyes - Bomber Squadrons of the RAF, MacDonald, 1964 which I am unable to find in any other book or source. The problem is that the photo is very small in this book.

I am afraid that I will be not able to contact the author nor the publisher, any ideas where I can try to ask for help? There is no credit for this particular photo, just the general source stated at acknowledgement page as "Air Ministry". Maybe John D.R. Rawlings who was any editor of the other editions might be able to help?

Any other (better) ideas how I can get to a better photo (sure if it exists still)?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Hi
    John D R Rawlings was born 1925.
    A J D R Rawlings appears on a Memorial inscription in the Anglican church in Strethall, Essex, possibly as one of the Rectors of that church.
    If these two are not one and the same then your man is currently 92 years old!
    I think you may have a problem?!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

As Peter suggests it is sad to say that John Rawlings died quite some time ago. At one time his daughter was very active in continuing his work.. writing as Sue Bushell I believe. I am not sure about Philip Moyes I have a feeling he is still active in WW1 research... might be worth contacting Cross and Cockade...
    Pavel can you point us towards the photo somebody might recognise it and suggest the source...
    Steve

Thanks

Hi chaps,

yes it is clear to me I have a "serious" problem.

Steve: as this photo is crucial for one of my researches I would not like to reveal its identity fully right now:)

It is a Wellington of 15 Squadron (pg. 35 for those who have the book:)

Thx

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

If you are referring to Wellington IC T2624, which I think you are, you will find the same photograph (slightly cropped) in Ford-Jones' Oxford's Own (1999 ed.) p.86.

The photo has the following caption:

Out in the Cold. Vickers Wellington Mk, Ic. bomber, T2624, LS-B, photographed at RAF Wyton, during the winter of 1940/41. The aircraft was delivered between November 1940 and February 1941, also saw service with the Czech Training Wing and No.311 (Czech) Squadron. It was lost on 23rd October 1941, when it crashed into the Irish Sea during a cross-country exercise involving a flight to the Isle of Man. (Photo) Courtesy of Don Clarke MBE. The Mildenhall Register.

The quality is only marginally better!

For the Mildenhall Register, see: https:www.themildenhallregister.co.uk

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st April 2017 at 16:40.

Thanks

Excellent Colin, thank you!
    I was not aware of the book and I have found it author is a historian of 15 Sq association so I have find a contact and send him my request.
    Will keep the Mildenhall Register as a backup solution.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

Go direct to the Mildenhall Register site - click on "History, Historians & Research - there, you will find Martyn Ford-Jones' contact details.

Col.

Thanks

Thx Colin, my fault, I have missed it but I have found the same address at 15 Sq Association website:)

Pavel