Thread: F O Charles Sydney Duncan

Thanks

Default F O Charles Sydney Duncan

I am trying to do some research on my great uncle Charles Sydney Duncan. I know he was killed on the 24 Feb 1944 while part of the crew of a Wellington bomber flying from Malta. On the crew listing he was down as the bomb aimer, I was told by my uncle that he was was a pilot in the B.O.B I have found a Duncan listed on those who took part in the B. O. Bbut there was no other info about him

Thanks

Walt - Welcome.

This will start you off:-

Enlisted (1255521) in Block 1150001-1299800 (location not known) between Apr/May 1940.
    1255521 LAC Charles Sidney DUNCAN Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR(GD Branch) ( 135624) 4 Dec 42
    C. S. DUNCAN (135624) Promoted to Fg Off(p) 4 Jun 43.

You need to get a copy of his Service Record. See https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...cords/overview. Once you have that then there are many people on this forum who will help you decipher the RAF acronyms/shorthand/Stations/Units, etc, etc.

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Walt, for you (and others),

See: https://www.awm.gov.au/images/collec...25_018--1-.pdf (p.25 of 465)

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th April 2017 at 17:12.

Thanks

Hi peter thanks for that info I will try and get a copy of his service records but I've heard that if your not the actual N.O.K. It can be difficult.

Thanks

Hi Col I'll have a look at that thanks
    Walt

Thanks

Walt, Hi,
    Yr Post #4. NOT difficult - provided you have the right bits of paper. Just time-consuming (mostly waiting!) and will cost you £30. It is vital for accuracy. It is a legal document and, as such, is vital in settling "family stories", or other un-documented sources.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello

There's no Duncan listed in the list of aircrew who flew during the Battle of Britain, in Kenneth G. WYNN's book, which has been largely used as source for websites and other books.

If, like Peter suggests, he joined in April or May 1940, it's rather short to be a trained fighter pilot in order to be an operational pilot during the Battle of Britain. Another possibility is that he could have flown in the time frame of the BoB, but in Bomber Command, or in Coastal Command. But here again, it'd be a very training syllabus.

Col's link gives excellent détails and Peter's advice about the Service Record will give precise dates, units he went through, etc... Then you can use open archives to rebuild his tour of operations, by accessing No. 37 Squadron Operations Record Book at the National Archives, in Kew, London. Either directly by yourself, on a microfilm reader, or you can buy it online, but it could be very expensive, if he served for a long period of time, as you'll have to buy one month by one month, the form 540 (monthly résumé) and the form 541 (daily résumé).

There's a very short entry about the loss of this crew is "Wise without eyes" by Kevin Mears, page 227 : "The final operation of the month wason the 24th when twelve aircraft visited the Steyr aircraft factory. The aircraft of F/Sgt Langley and crew, F/O Duncan, and Sgts Hutchinson, Jeavons and Topple failed to return from this operation".

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Walt, Hi,
    Yr Post #4. NOT difficult - provided you have the right bits of paper. Just time-consuming (mostly waiting!) and will cost you £30. It is vital for accuracy. It is a legal document and, as such, is vital in settling "family stories", or other un-documented sources.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Thanks Peter I am in the process of applying for his service records

Thanks

I have downloaded the pdf and found the report, I thought I would just flick through to page 25 but sent about two hour's reading all the others in it certainly makes you think.