Thread: Halifax Lost During Training, 1663 HCU, Rufforth 6 May 1944

Thanks

Default Halifax Lost During Training, 1663 HCU, Rufforth 6 May 1944

Hi all,

Part of 1663 HCU attached to 102 SQDN, Halifax II, Possibly OO-R, left Rufforth on 6 May 1994 at approx. 22:04, flew for around 35 minutes before been abandoned by crew by parachute-all survived.

I'm looking to find out more about the incident mentioned in the Title. The only other information I have other than the aforementioned is the crew list.

Kind Regards

Marc

Thanks

Marc

W. R. Chorley's book Bomber Command Losses, Volume 8 (HCU's), page 107 has one 1663 HCU Halifax loss for that day:

Halifax V DK138 - left Rufforth 14.01, training flight, starboard inner failed followed by the starboard outer. Crash-landed at 16.41 at Hawarden. Crew were Frenchmen Capt. Leclere and S/Lt Chourgnoz.

However, Bomber Command Losses Volume 5 (1944), page 212, has the following:

Halifax II JN919 DY-R of 102 Sqn - caught fire on training flight, abandoned and crashed 22.50, 3 miles NW of Northallerton. Only crew member listed is Sgt R Davies.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Marc,

I think there may be a bit of confusion here, on my part at least!. As far as I can tell the aircraft from 1663 HCU was manned by a French crew of six and one RAF instructor and they didnít bail out but landed at Hawarden as per Simonís post. Chourgnoz and three of his crew were killed and three others survived after bailing out in another accident later that month.
    The other incident, involving JN919, sounds more like the one you are referring to, this was a 102 Squadron aircraft coded DY-R piloted by Sgt Davies who although with 1663 HCU was completing his conversion training at Pocklington with 102 Squadron.
    There is no mention of this crash in the Rufforth ORB but there is a bit of detail in the handwritten Pocklington Watch Office Log for the 6-7th May, send me a private message with your email address if you want copies.

Pete