Thread: Archives for RAF police in WW2

Thanks

Default Archives for RAF police in WW2

My grandfather served in the RAF police in WW2, he went through the RAF security school at Halton and was then posted to No. 10 Area, Derbyshire. I have a photograph of 16 of the men in this unit with their ranks and surnames. Does anyone know where there may be archives giving details of what these men did on duty ? I have not spotted anything in the National Archives online catalogue. The only thing he mentioned was going to pubs to listen out for any careless talk, so I am guessing maybe he would be in civilian clothes for this. His service record says very little apart from courses attended, rank and hospital treatment. Thanks very much. Simon Cains

Thanks

Hello Simon and welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to this area so it will be seen by more people.
    Good luck with your research.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Simon

If you have their full names or just initials you can find service numbers on Air 78 Index at National Archives

I think you can get summary of service from RAF AHB at 30 a pop

Full service file only available to next of kin (not sure of cost)

Their summaries may at some time be available online but at moment only pre-ww2 airman (who left before ww2) are available - see Findmypast.co.ik

http://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/recordsofservice/