Thread: Can you help identifying this Pathfinder Air Gunner from his photograph?

Thanks

Default Can you help identifying this Pathfinder Air Gunner from his photograph?

Hello everyone.

This photograph was found in old family papers and I would love to find out who he is/was and hopefully how he might be connected with the family. I have no known RAF connection and I've done a comprehensive family history. Of course , he may just have been a friend, but I'd still love to know him/his story.

Any advice as to how I might find his name would be very welcome. I have written to both the IWM and Pathfinder museum and await their replies. I've tried Google image match, I've tried searching Ancestry family trees in case his family post a similar photograph

What I know (or think I do) ...

- the photograph was taken around 1945
    - he was a flight sergeant air gunner in a Pathfinder squadron
    - he has the Africa Star ribbon (sewn on upside down)

Any suggestions as to how I might proceed - I'm happy to look through files , either online or in a paper archive if such things exist

I think he looks a bit 'American' ..or perhaps that's just how young men looked back then?

I appreciate he may well have died during the war, given the attrition rates - especially in the Pathfinder squadrons

thank you in advance

Mark (mark@markrobinson.co.uk)

the photo ...

Thanks

You say, old family papers. Can you give details on family concerned...surname perhaps. If family is your family, and surname is Robinson, then i have a F/Sgt Robinson (A/G) in my copy of the 83sqdn ORB, but of course, this is only one of probably many A/G's called Robinson.

Thanks

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply

the photograph was found in my grandmother's (nee Goodwin) papers. She was married to my Grandfather Samuel Robinson, but this isn't Sam , I suspect he was a boyfriend .

I've got the rest of those generations pretty well mapped out and there isn't a single RAF connection , either before or after ww2

cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    You say, old family papers. Can you give details on family concerned...surname perhaps. If family is your family, and surname is Robinson, then i have a F/Sgt Robinson (A/G) in my copy of the 83sqdn ORB, but of course, this is only one of probably many A/G's called Robinson.

Thanks

Have you considered him flying with 614 Squadron? Given the Africa Star it would be feasible he remained in the Mediterranean theatre.

Thanks

Try the Pathfinder Museum at Wyton. Several years ago they asked me to identify an air gunner and the best I could do was to isolate the choices to about half dozen and that was because he had a DFM and there were some other clues. However, they might be able to help. The photo shows and Africa Star and 39/45 star the wrong round and there is no Aircrew Europe or F&G star, which supposes two things: Nick is right about the 614 connection or the guy is wearing his pathfinder badge in UK, possibly at a studio sitting. Is there anything written on the back of the photo?

Thanks

I shall look at the information I have on 614 to see if I can provide some options for further research.

Thanks

I've reviewed my information and have PM'd details that may help you.