Thread: Wedding at RAF RAmleh (Palestine) 1946

Thanks

Default Wedding at RAF RAmleh (Palestine) 1946

While stationed at RAF Ramleh (Palestine) in the 4th Air Formation Signals Regt, Royal Signals in 1946 I took some photographs of the wedding of one of our signal office TCL (Telecommunications Levant) WAAF’s (Smudge’ Smith). The chap she married was an Air Gunner possibly from another station as Ramleh was so small we only had Austers of No. 651 AOP Squadron with us then. (Capt’s Denyer, Beck and the late Capt. Bryan John Bethell).

Is there anyone out there who may have known her or have any information present day of the couple please?

My reason for the request is that I have sent a number of RAF Ramleh photograph’s to a Jewish friend of mine, Ben Kershales (Aviation Art) and would like to tie up this wedding photo as a bit of RAF Ramleh history for myself as well.
    Thanks,
    Digger.

John Wright Guest

Digger,i arrived at Ramleh in June or July 1946 with 2 Armoured Car Company at that time all but maybe 6 or 12 WAAFs had been posted to Egypt as we were billeted at first in the old WAAF compound utilizing their mess hall as our billet ( we were used to this type of living as at Ein Shemer we had the same type of housing only a little bit nicer it was an old Segt.Mess)also had full use of the WAAF Naafi untill we were moved onto the main camp and were billeted over the OR's mess opposite the swimming pool.So to get back to your question when did the wedding take place?Idon't remember it but we had quite a few redundant Aircrew employed as mechanics,none on the armoured car crews.

John

John Wright Guest

Digger,your question started those mysterious juices in the brain and I seem to recall that one of our redundant aircrew did get married at the time my section was meandering around the countryside so was not present and the name does not come to mind but I believe they did move into the married quarters a few doors down from one of our Flight Segt.who had been on the Company for 14/15 years and had lived there from his first posting,again his name is now among the missing.

John

Thanks

Hello John,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I didn't get an 'notification' to any answers!! Don't know why.

Could you contact me at awarculus@xtra.co.nz please. I have a couple of photo's.Your info is interesting.

I have been sending RAF Ramleh info to an Israeli friend of mine.

Cheers,
    Digger.