Thread: Fokker Trimotor in Eastern Africa (1941)

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Fokker Trimotor in Eastern Africa (1941)

Hi,

During the war in Somaliland in 1940 then 1941 the British recaptured the territory as well as occupying Italian Somaliland. Some aircraft were used to as Air ambulances and patient transportation. Some a/c were Fokker T VII and may be used by the Red Cross.

Does anybody know some serial or squadron with Fokker Trimotor in this eastern Africa ?

TIA

Bertrand H

Thanks

Bertrand,

If it's a Fokker Trimotor, then perhaps a Fokker F.VII/3m instead of a T.VII? The former one was the famous trimotor passenger plane, the latter a project for a medium maritime bomber.

It seems that the Italians had some Fokkers in an East Africa Detachment during 1940-1941, but couldn't find the exact type (yet).

Regards,

Leendert
    Brugge/Belgium

Thanks

Bertrand,

Ethiopia bought two Fokkers, a F.VIIa/3m and a Fokker XVIII during 1934-1935. I don't know their fate.
    However, Fokker F.VIIa/3m PH-EHE was used in Red Cross colors in Ethiopia during the 1936 Italian invasion. This airplane was privately owned by some Dutchmen, but was used in Ethiopia by Carl Gustav Von Rosen.
    This Fokker was destroyed by fire on 23-3-1937 (Toulon).

Regards,

Leendert
    Brugge/Belgium

Thanks

Bertrand,

Did some further digging and I think I found the answer: the Fokker you're looking for was from Belgian Congo, or the Weermacht/Force Publique to be precise. It was ex-Sabena.

A good story (in French!) on its use in Abyssinia alongside the British on www.bamfbamrs.be/RAF/List/Tout_ca.doc which is a downloadable text document.

Salutations,

Leendert

Thanks

Thank you Leendert for the link. Interesting text about of the Belgian in Africa !

Yes could be a possibility even if the free French pilot on this Fokker flew on this from mi February up to mid march

For the PH-EHE , the author of this website told me in a private mail that this a/c destroyed in France by sabotage after a belly landing.

http://www.crezan.net/articles/abyssinia_01_fr.html

Salutations aussi

Bertrand