Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W/Cdr R.A.C. Barclay O.C. 166 Squadron January to June 1943.

Thanks

Default W/Cdr R.A.C. Barclay O.C. 166 Squadron January to June 1943.

Can anyone please give me anymore details about this chap. He was posted from 11 O.T.U. to command the home based rump of 150 Squadron, the other echelon of which had been posted overseas in December 1942. 150 Squadron and the U.K remaining part of 142 Squadron were amalgamated to form 166 Squadron in late January 1943. W/Cdr Barclay then took command of 166 until June 1943 when he was posted to 27 O.T.U.
    Has anyone any more information about his R.A.F career either before or after his time with 166? Did he serve on any other operational Squadrons?

Thanks

Mark,

Posted to No. 27 OTU "for duty as C.I." 3 July 1943

Posted to RAF Hixon 13 May 1944.

Dave

Thanks

The "C.I." referred to in previous post almost certainly indicates "Chief Instructor", which is (very roughly) equivalent (but not equal) to the better known "C.F.I." (Chief Flying Instructor) to be found at "normal" Flying Training Schools (separate Elementary and Service variants), known as EFTS's and SFTS's). I am not certain whether incumbents holding the appointment of "Chief Instructor" were required to have formal flying instructor qualifications or not, but they were almost certainly experienced operational pilots, or be very familiar with the main types of aircraft in use at the unit. They may only have completed a staff pilot course or something similar. However he would certainly be in charge of all flying discipline on the station, as well as general supervision of his "pupils" (all of whom would be fully qualified aircrew members in their own right, unlike the case prevailing in EFTS's and SFTS's) so was a man to be respected and certainly taken into account by all his "pupils". Later in the war, staff pilots were able to undertake a formal course at a flying instructors school known as the Q-Category, which was intended to provide a good basis for carrying out aircraft type conversion instruction for new pilots intended for operational duties. If I have got anything wrong in this brief summary, other Board members are invited to comment freely.
    David D

Thanks

Hi,

India General Service medal 1908-1935 - NW Frontier 1935

F/O R.A.C BARCLAY

S/L 1-8-1939

33017 W/C R.A.C BARCLAY MID 8-6-1944

Mark

Thanks

David,

You're right on the money. 13 May 1944 entry in the No. 27 OTU ORB shows him leaving for Hixon as a G/Cpt and Chief Instructor.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you everyone. I wonder what operational flying he did, if any, before being posted to Command 166 squadron? He does not appear to have received any DFC/DSO for his time there despite flying regular operations with his crews. I would really like to obtain a photograph of him and any more details about his career. Again many thanks for all your contributions.

I just seen he was apparently Commanding RAF Stanmore as a G/Cpt in 1953.

And..I now see his medals were auctioned by Dix Noonan Webb in September 1994
    MID June 44
    AFC Jan 45
    OBE Jan 53 (Air Attache Seoul)

Should have looked first before asking should't I? Sorry!

But there is another mystery. Barclay flew operations with 166 over France and Germany in the first half of 1943 but there is only the France and Germany Star in the grouping. Surely it would be the Aircrew Europe?
    Last edited by barnsley; 2nd May 2017 at 12:37.

Thanks

Hello,

W/C R A C Barclay was Senior Air Staff Officer to Air Commodore Stanley F Vincent when No.226 (Fighter) Group was reformed at P.1 (Palembang), Sumatra on 1 February 1942. 226 (F) Group folded up when Java was overrun by the Japanese. A/C Vincent and his staff were evacuated from Batavia aboard the "Zandaam", bound initially for Ceylon, but diverted to Perth, Western Australia. They landed at Fremantle.

Barclay's troubles did not end there, as the following shows: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48383393

See: Bloody Shambles Vol.2/Shores et al/65. 77 & 114 & Flying Fever/Vincent, S F./London:Jarrolds,1972/108-132.

There is a photograph of Barclay in the following publication:

Australia in the Korean War 1950-53. Vol.I: Strategy and Diplomacy.
    O'Neill,Robert.
    Canberra:Australian War Memorial,1981.
    p.210(opposite)

The caption reads; Senior United States officers visit Australian air units at Iwakuni airbase, Japan. Left to right are Vice-Admiral Turner Joy, Commander United Ststes Naval Forces, Far East; Lieutenant General Sir horace Robertson; Admiral William Radford, Commander-in-Chief, Pacific; Group Captains A D Charlton, RAAF and R A C Barclay, RAF. (Source: Australian Army Public Relations, Australian War Memorial Photograph No. MISJ 511)

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd May 2017 at 13:10.

Thanks

When his medals were sold it stated

"Ronald Alen Campbell Barclay was commissioned Pilot Officer on 17 December 1932. He served in India with 39 Squadron from 28 February 1933; with No. 1 Anti-A/C Co-op unit at Biggin Hill from 16 August 1936; on the books of R.A.F. Uxbridge from 29 April 1938, whilst in Japan on a language course. He served from 24 January 1950 until 1 February 1953, as Air Attache at Seoul, almost certainly being awarded the O.B.E. for this work. "

His medals were:
    "ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE, O.B.E. (Military) 2nd type; AIR FORCE CROSS, G.VI.R., the reverse officially dated '1945'; INDIA GENERAL SERVICE 1908-35, 1 clasp, North West Frontier 1935 (F/O, R.A.F.); 1939-45 STAR; FRANCE AND GERMANY STAR; PACIFIC STAR; DEFENCE AND WAR MEDALS, M.I.D.; KOREA 1950 53 (Gp. Cpt., R.A.F.); U.N. KOREA, the group mounted court style as worn"

According to various immigration forms he completed in the Caribbean (1950's/60's) he was born 4 July 1911 at East Bergholt, Suffolk and regarded himself as British (Scots)

Thanks

Thank you again, Col and PeteS. I have tried to find the photo you mention Col but can't find it on the Australian War Memorial site. Do you have the book you refer to, Australia in the Korean War?
    And any idea about the Aircrew Europe medal mystery?

Thanks

Barnsley,

Yes, I have the book, but I don't have a scanner! Barclay is on the extreme right of said photograph, which appears to be cropped. The original might be better.

The Australian War Memorial has thousands of items either not on display, or not listed on their site. I suggest you contact them and ask about photograph "MISJ 511", also ask about other photos in the "MISJ" series.

http://awm.altarama.com/reft100.aspx?key=research

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd May 2017 at 00:04.